Do most breweries drug test??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd bet the big corporate ones drug test, like most big corporate companies. The smaller ones probably don't bother, because small companies generally don't bother.

I hate drug tests, because I have an undying love for poppy seed bagels. Once I got a phone call telling me I was accepted to a job while I was munching on one. I had 48 hours to get a drug test. It probably came back positive for opium, but I went to another place anyway.

I hate drug tests, because I have an undying love for poppy seed bagels. Once I got a phone call telling me I was accepted to a job while I was munching on one. I had 48 hours to get a drug test. It probably came back positive for opium, but I went to another place anyway.

you would have to consume an insane amount of bagels in order pop for opium. I believe Mythbusters or some other similar show tested this.

Probably not exactly on topic, but I find it interesting that hops and marijuana are in the same plant family Cannabaceae. Considering that California seems on the verge of legalizing cannabis, how long until we see someone substituting marijuana for hops in a beer.

Probably not exactly on topic, but I find it interesting that hops and marijuana are in the same plant family Cannabaceae. Considering that California seems on the verge of legalizing cannabis, how long until we see someone substituting marijuana for hops in a beer.

Catnip too!

Also, it's interesting, but I think the HBT gods frown upon talk like this. I've heard it comes out very vegetal anyways and wastes a ton of money.

Wow, I am amazed. I remember seeing a different show years ago that said different. Although this show didn't test it, they just interviewed doctors.

why do HBT people frown so much on the topic?

not trying to turn this into one of those threads though. i was just curious about drug testing policy because you have a bunch of people working with potentially dangerous equipment and have benefits such as health. i was more concerned about the topic from a business perspective.

Catnip too!

Also, it's interesting, but I think the HBT gods frown upon talk like this. I've heard it comes out very vegetal anyways and wastes a ton of money.

They serve Hemp hopped Ale on tap at UCSC's campus bar, it taste grassy and not that great. Luckly they have sierra nevada on tap so thats what i go with instead, if only the people working there weren't such idiots.

I think that Lagunitas did this back in the day and got shutdown for it and is the reason for the name of the beer Undercover Shut Down ale.

Most companies that run factory like equipment are required to drug test by their insurance company.

MJ in beer has been done. It was called Brain Damage. Now let's break down the OPs question.

I would think all DRIVERS and heavy machinery operators get tested. Everyone else may or may not. The bigger the company the more likely a drug screen.

The biggest issue will be if you hurt yourself on the job. In almost all cases the insurance company will require a tox screen for a work related injury. If it comes back positive you not only get fired they will not pay workmens comp or your medical bills.

The bigger they are, the more likely they'll test. As they start to grow, their number of grow and it reaches a point where it's almost impossible not to test in a safety sensitive area, like manufacturing, just because the consequences of a drug related incident are so severe.

Years ago, I used to volunteer at a brewery (got paid I beer, about half a case per hour). When I first started doing it, drinking on the job was perfectly acceptable(almost required), but as the company grew, and the demand grew, the pace of work and the equipment used as increased in complexity. One day, could no longer drink on the job. Yada yada yada, now, many many years later, that brewery no longer let's in volunteers...to much risk for non employees.

There are typically 4 types of drug tests a company is likely to perform - pre hire, random, probable cause, accident related. Since a brewery is just a manufacturing plant, it's likely that they don't do a pre hire or a random test. There are legal issues to consider, and it's just expensive to do. Although, as someone else mentioned, the bigger the brewery is, the more likely they are to do pre hire testing. Most breweries probably to a probable cause test, since they don't want someone who appears to be under the influence operating machinery. Most also probably require a drug screen if someone has a documentable work injury.

And drivers, if the brewery employs their own, are regularly tested because it is a DOT requirement.

Short answer is yes and it is all about insurance and rates. I worked at a brewery and they didn't test for a very long time. When they did start testing, workers that had been with the company were 'Grandfathered' in and weren't subject to any preliminary or random testing.

im just curious. i know a lot of them have health and dental benefits. i dont do drugs by the way. this was just on my mind.

You call yourself "Col. Forbin" and you don't do any drugs? I know it happens, but really?

you would have to consume an insane amount of bagels in order pop for opium. I believe Mythbusters or some other similar show tested this.

Oh, yeah, I saw that Mythbusters too, but I don't remember just exactly how much qualifies as an insane amount. How much is insane? I Loooooovvvve poppy seed bagels, muffins, bread, you name it. If it doesn't have poppy seeds in or on it, I ain't eating it

Heard a retired employee from the local BMC (Molson) on the radio saying how they used to have free beer at lunch until one of the drivers got into an accident!!

How common is this in the UK? It seems like it is much more common in the US. Does anybody know?

i think twinkies. cream filled deliciousness. actually i'm gonna go to the store

Latest posts

Back