Gravity still too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultralord

Reaction score
I wanted to bottle today but the gravity is still at 020 when it's supposed to be 012. It's a True Brew IPA kit.

2 cans amber LME 6.6lbs.
1 lb. Crystal malt steeped 30 min.
chinook and cascade hops
muntons dry ale yeast
I also dry hopped with more cascade.

BG was 050.

Primary for 1 week. Secondary for 2 weeks.

Gravity was 020 at transfer to secondary.

Should I go ahead and bottle?

I'd pitch more yeast, maybe Nottingham and give it a week. 1.020 seems to be the "spot" for stuck ferments.

Well, I called the guy at my LHBS(or is it LHS?) and he said to go ahead and bottle it. If I get bottle bombs, I can blame him I guess. I'm just glad it's in bottles so I can start on my next batch.:)

WOW thats ballsy to bottle at 20 with that kit my calcs tell me thats only 4% abv lots of sugar left to ferment. you might want to shake your fermenter warm it up a tad and let it go another week. IMO
BUT you know what they say" your not a true home brewer unless youve been woken up in the middle of the night to exploding bottles" Whoever they are.
JJ

ultralord said:
Well, I called the guy at my LHBS(or is it LHS?) and he said to go ahead and bottle it. If I get bottle bombs, I can blame him I guess. I'm just glad it's in bottles so I can start on my next batch.:)

Sure you can blame him, but he won't be the one who has to clean up the shards of glass and sticky beer from your bottle bombs. I hope, for your sake, that he's right!

John

OK, you guys are scaring me. All my bottles are now in the tub, covered with a towel. How soon before they blow? I was going to wait a week before I opened one. Should I pop one open sooner? Or should I RDWHACB? (CB = craft brew. I don't have any homebrew yet)

Latest posts

Back