profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I am just getting into ag brewing and bought beersmith. I need help getting my profile and such going. I will be using a 10 gallon igloo mash tun with 9" SS false bottom. using boil kettle as my sparge vessel. I will be batch sparging

I need to know what to enter into the following fields :

profile.jpg

thanks for assistance with this

Mike

Leave the default for things like cooling shrinkage and mash tun specific heat. Mash volume = 10 gallons, lauter tun deadspace (how much liquid to you leave behind in your mash tun). I tip my mash tun when lautering, so I leave this value at 0. With most coolers, it shouldn't be more than a couple of cups.

For boiler, check the box to "calculate boil volume automatically" and input your boil off rate. If you don't know this, I'd boil a few gallons for an hour and see what you have left. What's missing if your boil off rate. For me, it's around .75 gallons per hours, but 1 gallon per hour is a good starting point.

For fermenter, I like to get about 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. That way when it's bottling/kegging time, i have 5 gallons of finished beer. This accounts for loses due to gravity samples, transfer loses, etc. So my profile has loss to trub = 0, top off = 0, batch vol = 5.5, fermenter loss = .5.

That's my profile. You'll probably need to tweak yours slightly to match your process. After a few batches, you should be dialed in. Keeping good notes helps.

Here's my equipment profile. I boil in a 15-gallon pot, which accounts for the large evaporation rate. I estimated the lauter tun deadspace by putting in some water, draining until it wouldn't drain anymore, then pouring off what was left into a pitcher and measuring how much I got.

My Profile.jpg

Thanks - PieMan how does this look ? also, like you i want 5.5 for losses....
shouldn't my bottling volume be 5.5 ?? how can i fix it so i get the 5.5?

profile 2.jpg

thanks again

M

Looks good. If you've not tracked these variables before, you'll probably need to adjust them once you brew a few batches. For instance, you may boil off more, or less, than 1 gallon per hour.

I try for a batch size of 5.5 so that I have 5 gallons at bottling time (I lose about .5 gallons for various fermentation loses). If you want 5.5 gallons at bottling time, I'd probably set your batch size to 6 gallons assuming you lose .5 gallons for fermentation loses (transferring, gravity samples, etc.).

Back