Any coolers that fit a 5g keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have ever found a cooler that can fit a full size keg. I'd like to be able to take one to a camping trip and be able to keep it cool all weekend. Any thoughts?

I went online and entered "plastic barrels" in my browser. I found numerous industial vendors (few of which would sell retail -- they wanted to sell 100 barrels, not one). One that I found had used barrels, so I bought a 15 gallon barrel ... its 25 inches tall and 14 inches wide. It had a closed top so i sawed it off and also sawed handles on each side. I can put the keg in the barrel and surround it with old half litre water bottles which I always keep in the freezer to use for my prechiller. Or you can use ice. It works great if you want to take a keg to a party and have to provide your own "refrigeration".

I looked into this too for awhile.

Even on the tallest Igloo Ice cube, you'll have to cut a hole in the top.
There was a thread on this with pics.

I was looking into beverage coolers. The kind you'd see serving Ice Tea at a catered event or on a golf course, but I gave up.

The tallest ones end up being too wide and bulky. Plus once you go to all that trouble, you'll want even more headspace to actually hook up connectors and add a tapper somewhere.

Buy 12 inch PVC or CPVC pipe and make your own cooler. Nice and compact yet functional.

dougjones31 said:
Buy 12 inch PVC or CPVC pipe and make your own cooler. Nice and compact yet functional.

Damn you Doug! That's just enough of a great idea for me look into it again!

Ball Lock Kegs:
25" High x 8 1/2" Diameter

Pin Lock Kegs:
22-23" High x 9" Diameter

Were you just pulling that 12" PVC measurement out of thin air. Doesn't seem to leave alot of room for ice.

Cursory search for pricing is $26 per foot...does that sound right?

Probably need close to 26" with additional headspace gained with the cap = $52+.

Ideally, get the right diameter for ice and then get a larger diameter to go around that and fill with foam insulation. Could start to get expensive unless some of this falls off a truck.

I have a this huge cooler (120 qt's) that could fit two corny's. I picked it up at Sam's our local army/navy. It looks like a cooler you would take on a boat to stash your fish, or bait, or snacks, or better BEER!
It definitely would require two people to carry it around.

glibbidy said:
I have a this huge cooler (120 qt's) that could fit two corny's. I picked it up at Sam's our local army/navy. It looks like a cooler you would take on a boat to stash your fish, or bait, or snacks, or better BEER!
It definitely would require two people to carry it around.

would it fit two cornies vertically? I haven't seen any that are that tall.

Yep, that is very cool. I wonder what his price ended up being.

Jimi, did anyone ever tell you that you look just like Jerry Garcia?

I've used a coleman brand cooler, and put the keg on it's side. I do have pinlocks so it is a bit shorter.....Work really well...Once I remembered to put the gas in on the up side.....heheh...whoops....

IGOR

Sorry, I have been away for a while.

Kegs are a tad over 8 inches so a 12 inch pipe leaves 2 inches all around the keg. That is plenty of room for ice. Especially when you add ice cold salt water as a buffer....and your keg is already cold. It will stay cool for hours at a tme.

Yes.... you could use 18" Pipe and then put that inside a 20" pipe and use spray insulation in between the 2 pipes. The 18 inch inside would give you much more room and would extend the cooling time, but the cost would go up drastically. Try pricing 18"-24" pipe!

Oh crap.....Sometimes I am just plain brilliant. If you want to use pipe larger than 12 inches, it will be cheaper to split sections of 12 inch pipe and put 3 pieces together which would increase the inside diameter. You can glue the pieces together. 12" pipe is way cheaper than bigger pipe. You can then use this same splitting technique to make the outside pipe so that you can insulate between the two.

I did get my pipe for free......They were putting in a new water line by my house and I got the guys to give me their scrap pieces. They even gave me some caps to cap the ends. The screw type caps are great! Easy to get in and out of the cooler. I just drilled 2 holes in the cap for the gas and liquid lines.

homebrewer_99 said:
how about mounting it on a hand truck with bungie cords...:D

And it has to be blue and have lights and speech recognition.
I'll be weighing all of the offered suggestions.

What's your take on this Omar. I kind of jacked the thread.

Back