Recipe Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I'm converted an extract recipe to Partial mash and not sure which extracts to use.

The recipe calls for 4 lbs Alexanders Pale Malt Extract Syrup. I did a search here and understand that 1 lb grain approximately equals .75 LME which approximately equals .6 lb of DME. So based on this I would need 2.4 lbs of DME if I was converting it completely to DME, but I'm not sure which kind to use. Do I use extra light or light? I'm assuming it wouldn't be amber.

For reference, I don't want to buy 4lbs of syrup and only use 2 lbs, what a waste. I'd rather just convert it into DME.

This is a fat tire clone.

Thanks,

Am I missing something here? I don't see where you are considering a partial mash, just a conversion of 4 pounds of LME to DME. If that is the case, then 3.25 pounds of light or extra light DME would be equivalent to your LME.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that, I'm going to use Belgian 2-row instead of the LME. I'm just not going to be able to use enough grain to eliminate the need for some of the LME.

I already have a few pounds of extra light DME so I will use that. What is the difference, color of beer, i.e. the darker the beer the darker the DME?

Thanks,

Even when I did extract beers, I always used only light or extra light DME and got my color from steeping specialty grains like crystal and roasted barley. In your case, you had pale LME, so I would use the extra pale DME that you already have as a direct substitute.

Back