quiet pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
Any recommendations on semi-quiet pump? Stainless would be preferred, but plastic is not a deal breaker.

After a few searches I get the impression that the most common pump, the march 809, is pretty loud. Everyone who has a chugger pump seems to love them, but i can't find them for sale anywhere.

My march 809 with the stainless head from morebeer is super quiet. I have it mounted on a 3/4" thick piece of mahogany. To be honest the only way I can tell it is running is when I hear the relay engage in my control panel. The fan in my garage drowns out the pump completely.

I run both a March and a Chugger, and in my opinion they are both loud as Chit! Its a easy fix though, I just turn up the stereo..........

20120417_202837.jpg

My march 809 with the stainless head from morebeer is super quiet. I have it mounted on a 3/4" thick piece of mahogany. To be honest the only way I can tell it is running is when I hear the relay engage in my control panel. The fan in my garage drowns out the pump completely.

So do you think pumps with stainless heads are quieter? Now I'm having a really hard time deciding which pump!

I have two Iwaki MD-10 and one MD-20 and they are VERY quiet. My March TE-5S makes a bit more noise but not to bad.

So do you think pumps with stainless heads are quieter? Now I'm having a really hard time deciding which pump!

Honestly the mounting has a lot to do with it more so than the head material. The mount sits on the ground and is dampened so there are no vibrations when it runs. Keeping the install balanced and vibration free cuts down on the. Noise.

My March pumps are moderately quiet- I brew indoors and it's not like it's so loud I can't talk over it, so it doesn't really bother me.

My friend (lschiavo) on this forum has a Little Giant that seems silent, although he brews in his garage with the music playing so maybe I just didn't hear it. If you really wanted a quiet pump, that might be the way to go.

After some more searching the forum so more I found this video that Walter made.

When people said thier pumps were really loud i was expecting something else. I'm really not to worried about it now. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the mounting has a lot to do with it more so than the head material. The mount sits on the ground and is dampened so there are no vibrations when it runs. Keeping the install balanced and vibration free cuts down on the. Noise.

+1.

This is the main factor in the noise-level issues I encountered with my March 809 pump with plastic head. If you mount the pump firmly into something solid it works just fine. You may also consider putting springs or compression washers between each of the screws and the pump.

Back