Adding sugar to bottle VS. adding to botting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
Am about to bots a batch of Kolsch. I am wondering the difference between boiling water and sugar and adding it to bottling bucket VS. adding a small amount of sugar to each bottle individually. Any thoughts?

It is a lot faster and easier and your bttles will all have the same carbination by putting it in the bucket. It is hard to get the same small aount inot each bottle.

Thanks, do you usually boil water and sugar together? Or just add sugar itself directly to the bottling bucket?

Bottling bucket is the way to go:
-More sanitary because you boil the sugar/water solution before adding it
-More consistent carbonation.
-Quicker and easier.

It's a LOT easier to add it to the bucket. Racking the beer onto the sugar water will mix the sugar in and give you better ratio for each bottle whereas it's going to be hard, and time consuming, to do each one individually. Personally, I've always done sugar in the bucket.

I bring the waer t a boil add my sugar and boil for 5 min then put into the bucket and then rack on top of the sugar water.

Thanks guys, does anyone know if it matters if the beer is already in the bottling bucket? Can the sugar be added into the beer if I stir it up? I jumped the gun and added brew before sugar/water boil

Youre still good, just pour your boiled sugar water in and give it a stir. Wait about an hour so anything you stirred up will settle back to the bottom and go to town. Have fun.
Bob

You should be fine adding it to the beer, just be careful when stirring not to get too vigorous and aerate your brew. FWIW, I put my sugar water in first and didn't stir and wound up with a thin layer of syrup on the bottom of my bottling bucket when I was done. My bottles carbed up just fine, though.

As was mentioned, adding sugar water to beer means you need to stir, which has the potential to aerate, which is bad. So be careful as you stir, do it gently, minimized any splashing.

Best way, imho, is to add the sugar water to the bucket first. Curl your siphon tubing so that its along the outer rim of the bottom of the bucket. as you transfer, it will naturally swirl the contents and mix everything up for you without any stirring.

I put the sugar in the bucket, not individual bottles. Its already enough work to putting beer in each bottle. I've boiled and just added the sugar to the bucket. Didn't notice a difference, so your choice. Not boiling is less work so I do that now

Latest posts

Back