Wyeast 1272 and Funny DIPA Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28S

Reaction score
I have a double IPA (OG 1.077) fermenting right now, and it's
acting a bit unusual. I'm using a 2nd generation of Wyeast 1272, and
after a somewhat slow start, it started blowing through the airlock. No
big deal, it's happened before with this yeast. I have been slowly ramping the
temperature 1 degree per day to ensure a good attenuation, and when I hit
72 degrees, it started blowing through the airlock again. I pitched an appropriate starter at 62 degrees. Any experience
here? Should I be concerned?

David

Hmmm. I ferment that yeast in the sixties, I wouldn't get higher than high 60's with it. Even though they say it handles a range from 60-72, the temp of the beer in the middle of your fermenter is going to be several degrees higher than room temp while active fermentation is going on. Maybe you could just try cooling it down a bit.

That's not a problem. Could you have started ramping the temp. too early? That could explain it. I usually wait until after the peak of fermentation activity before I begin ramping it up.

It had started to fermented for about 3 days before I started ramping, plus I have a thermowell running into the center of the carboy and a Ranco controlled reptile heater wrapped around it. With that said, it's still possibe that I started ramping a bit too early.

David

Back