It's called homebrew not freebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i brew 5 gallons I bet 3-4 goes right out the door. My only rule is my bottles come back to me.

Why? Because people love my brews and I love that. It also allows me to get a lot of feedback on the different things I'm doing. As the brewing focus's more on the brewpub that will go down a lot, but they understand that. If a friend brought me a 12 pack of empty bottles I would happily fill them.

+2

My rule is if its not the last few bottles of a batch I could care less if you take them, as long as you drink them and give the bottles back.

My old roomie was super excited when I got into homebrew, but when I explained the live yeast do the carbonation he wasnt as excited. I dropped off a mixed 6 pack of 3 kinds of my brew, I visit him 3 months later and none of the bottles are even touched...sweet dude you said my homebrew was excellent.

My other friends feel bad when they slam down a case, they offer to pay but I just say well the next recipe is yours to choose

Two buddies were interested in seeing the process of home brewing. I always welcome the company, so I invited them over to see how it works and to help out. Well, neither guy came on brew night. Next time over to the house, both commented on the beer fermenting away in the carboy. I offered for them to come over when it's time to bottle, get an idea of what goes into it. Again, no show. So that same beer is in the bottle now and its ****ing delicious. One of the guys stopped by and asked to try one. Of course, I said yes ... he flipped out about how good it was and asked if I would bring a sixer to his place next time I came over. WTF?!

wow, my neighbors and friends are obviously a great bunch. The only time I have ever had a neighbor come out and ask for a freebie was one time when his brother was visiting from out of town. They had both previously had my house pale that I keep on tap, and came by to ask for a glass because they had enjoyed it. This sort of request is more than fine.

There is no chance I would ever go into production for the sole benefit of someone else. I'm happy to help them learn the basics (heck, I'm pretty new to this myself) or give them a sample or two.

To me when you make the jump from a sample amount (2-3 beers max) to an amount capable of getting you drunk, it is crossing the line of making a legit request. They sell good beer at the store for a very fair price.

I love sharing my beer. I hate having it taken for granted.

that's how i feel, too. i have a couple neighbors who love to come over and drink my beer with me, especially when i'm brewing. they're learning, and have recently asked me to help them start up their own brewing. i take a lot of pride in them coming over to drink my beer, and they show appreciation by bringing me fajitas, enchiladas, desserts, etc, at random times

Friends know how to respect the time and effort it takes to produce this liquid art. They get as much as they can handle.

Then there are others who get pissed because there isn't a free keg handed to them weekly.

There is a guy at work who bugged me and got legit mad at me because he didn't get beer from this one batch I made. He was bitching about not getting any before fermentation was even done.

He has been to my house, once enjoyed the beer, and asked about cost. I explained the cost, but also explained the effort. All he heard was this don't cost much. Now he equates my beer to champagne on a mad dog budget. yeah....he ain't getting no more.

I have to say these examples are one of the reasons I love kegging. I have no problem saying that I don't have bottles to share because I don't bottle any beers.

None of my friends care as much about beer as I do. So, they drink what I have, when I have it and only when I offer it. Then they go right back to BMC and don't seem to care one way or another. Wait a minute...maybe I suck at brewing...bad realization.

None of my friends care as much about beer as I do. So, they drink what I have, when I have it and only when I offer it. Then they go right back to BMC and don't seem to care one way or another. Wait a minute...maybe I suck at brewing...bad realization.

Or your friends suck at beer..:mug:

Of course you did, because most of the people down here are kind and generous. Don't be to butt hurt, I do add a heaping of sarcasm in with all my post's. ;)

_

Outside of Missouri I've experienced the exact opposite from 99% of southerners. They typically hate what they don't understand or what is different. I definitely fall into that different category.

Outside of Missouri I've experienced the exact opposite from 99% of southerners. They typically hate what they don't understand or what is different.

Agreed. As a transplant from the North, people down here think I'm an ass hole because I don't play along with their cultural norms.

My father being about as country as you can get,& southern baptist besides,I figured I'd be at least tolerable. Nope. Got to Richmond,VA on our honeymoon,& they wouldn't honor our Hotel reservations when they saw our Ohio license plate. "Carpet bagin yankee" still rings in my ears. We finally got a room in some French Quarter lookin place,& when we went to the Waffle House the next morning,many folks came in,ate,& left before they finally got it through their heads we weren't leaving.
I can't imagine what the average bar would've been like...:mad::drunk:

Agreed. As a transplant from the North, people down here think I'm an ass hole because I don't play along with their cultural norms.

It's weird how people might think you were an ass hole from ass holish behavior isn't it? Southerners have a lot of nerve...

:mug:

I really do not bottle that much any more but I used to do have a "Beer for Bottles" program when I did. If someone gave me a case of empties they got at least a sixer of homebrew. One of my non brewing friends gave me 80+ Grolsch bottles as did one of the attorneys in the firm I work for. My friend is welcome to drink when he comes over and the attorney in my office will be getting a 12 pack of the IPA I made.

IffyG said:
Then I guess everyone from Chicago is an *******...

No, southerners are just the least tolerant people. Better do as they do and agree with all of their views or they'll run you out of town, just like the Texas board of education did to the civil-rights leaders in their American history books.

When I was growing up my mom kept a sourdough starter and every week or two made several loaves of bread. Since we couldn't eat all the bread ourselves she shared the bread with her coworkers but made sure they knew that she had a strict list she kept on who was next. They were much appreciative and peacefully waited their turn.

If you're really into giving away a six-pack or two of your batch a similar technique could be used: limit the amount and make sure people know about The List. There's nothing quite like sharing bread -- liquid or otherwise -- with friends.

Of course, my mother worked at a parochial school so your mileage may vary...

Hell if someone came over, supplied the ingredients, and then helped with clean up, I would brew them a batch. I have a friend who calls on occation with a sob story and tries to con me out of some beer or wine "old bro" style. I do not mind giving up a bottle of wine but I have too much money tied up in the beer to just be randomly giving it away. Although I do give all of the beer away I only give it to a select few. My mother in law who brought me my first kit and bought bottles is first, the misses second, close friends, and then my tattoo artist. All of these people do things for me though. I am thinking of investing in a tap-a-draft system to make distribution easier.

JasontheBeaver said:
So how much bottling sugar do you need to add to pee to get it to carb properly?

Depends on whether or not you're diabetic.

Sharing is good. To me the value of homebrew is the 5 hours it takes to brew a batch. But if I am invited to a party I bring a cooler of 10 beers on ice. I think it is appreciated and it is something special I can offer.

Tell him to go to the LHBS and pick up his favorite recipe along with a couple cases of bottles....bring them over with at least a 6 pack to drink while your brewing....and teach him how!! He can come back over to help you sanitize and bottle!!

Bingo, thats what I had in mind also. Make pick a recipe, pay for it and help you with the entire process and he can get 50%

reminds me of this guy that stayed with us for a while.

I have a keezer and i put one of my cornies in the keezer, carbed, pulled a taster (yes taster) glass and tried it. Figured it could age a bit longer. Came back a few weeks later to finally dive into the keg, pull the tap handle...and.....pfffffff C02.

What the f*@%!?

He had drank the whole keg without me knowing or getting even 1 whole pint (we were always home at different times). I usually offered him a glass or two of other kegs at night if i'd see him and i guess he thought that meant endless supply of free brew. We are good now though, we talked about it :mug:

So yes, i feel your pain :D

Sounds a bit like my recent experience. My neighbor/friend is pretty much welcome to drink whatever he wants from my keezer. He's not the type that will drink 6 pints a setting or anything like that and usually it's when we're hanging out. He does watch our dogs too when gone for weekend trips to the beach. Anyhow, I kegged this brown ale, carbed and had maybe 6-8 pints soon after it was ready to drink. I'd have one here and there, but not much as I don't drink the dark beers as quick as the pale ales. Planned to have this keg for at least 2 months. About a week after our T-day weekend trip I noticed some fresh beer on the floor by the keezer (he usually fills up a Bud beer bottle). So I go in an find what was nearly a full keg of Brown ale is just about empty. Dude must have had a couple a good weekends while I was gone. Not too big of a deal because he pays it back in a lot of other ways, but dang...

Other than him and my other neighbor I don't get too much pressure on my supply. We did have a service guy yesterday that ended up not charging us. He mentioned that him and his buddy wanted to start homebrewing. As he left I gave him two bottles of a Robust Porter... his eyes lit like I made his day. Love that part of sharing this hobby! Our New Years party has expanded to a pretty decent sized crowd, so looking forward to show casing my Porter, IPA and Wheat beer served along side a bushel of steamed oyster I'm going to personally harvest.

Back