lid blew off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
woke up to a lid blown off and foam on the floor. dont know how long it was uncovered. is my ale ruined?

I'd put the lid back on and rig a blow-off tube. Beer is pretty forgiving stuff, unless you've been gone for a week and just saw it. If it just happened overnight, you should be alright.

loop

Since the excess CO2 caused the blow-off, it also kept your ale covered. I've had two and both ales came through fine. Clean and sanitize the lid & airlock and let it chug. A blowoff tube would be a good idea.

you'll be fine. I've had numerous blow offs and if you find it quickly it will be fine. Just clean up the lid well and re-seal.

And Like the rest have said set your self up with a blow off set up and it will save you a lot of headaches...trust me :)

I've been brewing in a bucket and until my last batch (oatmeal stout) have never had a foam over. Do like everyone else has said and sanitize everything after you clean up and you should be fine. CO2 is a great protector of beer.

Darren

I still have yeast on my wall from a year ago.....I am still amazed that my lid blew off before the rubber stopper blew out.

What kind of fermenter were you all using when you had a blow-off? I have a 6.8 gallon carboy with 5 gallon batches. The last batch i did looked like a rocket taking off, but the airlock held...

I was using one of the regular buckets I think they are 6.5 or 7 gallons not sure......My problem was I had a 1.090 brew with a three piece airlock at room temp so when it started fermenting hard I was way above temp and the three piece airlock has a small opening at the end that needs to be cut off, the yeast went wild, anyway the airlock stopped up, and blew my lid off. I would never thought the lid would have come off there so hard to get off. I ended up pouring the whole batch out after bottling it and tasting it.....It was pretty bad, I dont think because of contamination though, I believe it was because of the high high fermentation temp.

probably cause it was a 1.090 beer. Lol... that stuff was probably horribly sweet, unbearably high in alcohol content (like 9%+), or needed to sit another 3 months before tasting :)

Back