Conditioning cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycrabster

Reaction score
Greetings,
I've been learning the benefits of leaving beer alone(!) to condition till it gets good, and I'm starting to see how it (the brew) changes over time.
My question here is, Do the same rules apply to cider? I just bottled my first few bottles of pear cider from a kit, was especially careful with sanitation, followed all the instructions that came with it (near as I can tell, as they were all geared toward kegging). What came out was perfectly clear, light golden colored (more Corona yellow than Mott's Apple Juice yellow), no floaters, no hair, no slime. It has a sweet-ish taste, but a powerful Not Sweet smell. Not exactly bad (my wife says "yeasty") but enough to make you jump back after a sniff.
Is this something that will change with age?
Thanks!:confused:

Oh, totally! If you were to whip up an experimental batch, and just opened it up, one bottle a month (if you have that kind of patience) you'd notice a serious improvement by the sixth-month batch.
Seriously- just let it sit for about a month or so- you'll know what I'm talking about.

Whew! That's good to hear. My first batch of beer never *didn't* smell or taste like some kind of beer, even during transfer to the secondary. The cider was very sweet smelling when I mixed it up in the primary.
As for the patience thing, I guess I'll just have to do what everyone suggests; drink a craft brew and start another batch of something!

Yes, That's one thing this hobby teaches. Patience.

Waitin' has it just rewards. You are right keep brewing so you can drink beer or cider when it needs to be drunk!! If you keep brewing you'll have a supply where you never have too drink one too early.

:mug:

I like to give straight cider 5-6 months and even more if I've used some honey or fruit.

Had to go ahead and sample, even though it's only been 45 days or so...
Not too bad! Still a little green (does that term apply to cider too?) but definately not like it was at bottling (which of these smileys is for "teeth set on edge, eyes rolling back...). Sweetness is about like straight juice, as opposed to sweetened juice drinks. Almost no aroma, very, very slightly carbonated.

I made my caramel apple cider (Affy Tapple ~7.5%) last October, I first tasted at Xmas. It was really aweful. I drank some a few weeks ago. Its greatly improved.

As it stands now I would only drink it If I was completely out. My absolute last choice. If I needed the bottles I'd dump 'em.

I had a similar experience with my honey-blueberry beer. It was a weird beer. I couldn't get use to the blueberry essence. It took about 5-6 months to get clear, another 2-3 months to smooth out. Its not on the remake list.

My Apfelwein will probably be more like your cider. Its almost done at 11 weeks in the primary. It tastes pretty good to me, it has the subtle beer-like taste that should mellow with time. Even though its not 100% done its pretty clear right now. I'm hoping it drops .004 more points so I can bottle w/o worrying about bottle bombs. I'm thinking its ok now but I can believe it been going this long. It bottomed out at 53'F around the super bowl.

Yes - Waiting is the name of the game here. Can't wait to start making ales that I can drink in as little as 6 weeks. My basement is now been at 60'F for two weeks. Yeeha!! I'm getting tired on the long lager ferments.

:mug:

Pumbaa said:
the 1-2-3 rules applies to cider just like beer . . . except instead of weeks use months

Pumba - I'm gonna remember that next time. Do you re-pitch for carbing if you plan to bottle? I assume you keg????

A couple of questions...
First, I'd mentioned above that my first beer (extract) always smelled and tasted like beer, even if not good beer, while my cider tasted sort of sweet and smelled reasonably awful. Is the peculiar odor of green cider something I should just expect from cider?
(I see Cheesefood just posted a Mapflwein recipe, I think that's what I'll get going on next.)
Second, my cider was a kit (concentrate, it was out of season, I was impatient to start some) and it cleared very nicely in about four weeks. Pumbaa and Schlenkerla, you both indicated or implied longer clearing times, is that from using "real" juice(s)? Just curious.

Sorry folks, I've been separated from my notes and stuff for awhile. Looking back I see my kit came with an additive for clarifying, which I used. My lack of short term memory keeps me from worrying about my lack of long term memory...

I'm on my 3rd batch of cider now. Planning to start 4 & 5 this weekend.

My first cleared in about 3 weeks. - Using juice from concentrate. ~ 5.3%ABV

My second cleared after several months at least 5-6 from my memory. Using juice from concentrate. - ~ 7.5%ABV

My 3rd cleared at 6-8 weeks I think. At 9 or 10 is when I noticed it was really clear. I mainly watched for bubbles in the lock. This batch is starting week 12 and is still fermenting away, but at a slow pace. My temps been 55-60 over this period. The juice was from reconstituted concentrate. Bought ready to drink. The ABV should be 8.5%.

I think three things effect clearing time; temp, yeast type, and the juice used. Fresh unpasteurized juice, not clear from the start I would think take longer. I've always had clear juice prior to pitching the yeast.

happycrabster said:
Is the peculiar odor of green cider something I should just expect from cider?

Pumbaa and Schlenkerla, you both indicated or implied longer clearing times, is that from using "real" juice(s)? Just curious.

Green cider smells like a$$. OK more like sulfer but it dont smell good. I dont know if I would say longer clearing times as much as I woudl say longer aging times. Yeah I leave min in the secondary for AT LEAST 2 months but thats not to let it clear If it wasnt reasonablly clear after 1 month of primary fermentation I'd be concerned

Pumbaa said:
...Green cider smells like a$$. OK more like sulfur but it dont smell good...

Sulfur is just what it *did* smell like! I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks!

Back