Other hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blacksmithing and Beekeeping. I guess I can count local politics now too. I'd be better off if I could say that woodworking was a hobby, but it's more like a curse. We live in a house that was built in 1892 and I am frequently working on repairs / remodeling / etc...

I have the ideal property for it.. How is the expense/learning curve?

Metal Casting is another thing that intrigues me...

It's best if you can find someone to help teach you. I found a group of smiths that get together once a week. We either bill the event as a metal club with a drinking problem, or a drinking club with a metal problem. One or the other. Anvils run anywhere from 1-3$ per pound. You want one 100+ pounds, but they are hard to find depending on your area. You'll also need a forge, which you can build. You should check out the California Blacksmithing Association. They have 2 conferences a year I think. http://www.calsmith.org/

The rest of the tools, you'll likely end up making. It's hard to find what you want, so you make it :) There is a saying, the tools don't make the blacksmith, the blacksmith makes the tools.

It's best if you can find someone to help teach you. I found a group of smiths that get together once a week. We either bill the event as a metal club with a drinking problem, or a drinking club with a metal problem. One or the other. Anvils run anywhere from 1-3$ per pound. You want one 100+ pounds, but they are hard to find depending on your area. You'll also need a forge, which you can build. You should check out the California Blacksmithing Association. They have 2 conferences a year I think. http://www.calsmith.org/

The rest of the tools, you'll likely end up making. It's hard to find what you want, so you make it :) There is a saying, the tools don't make the blacksmith, the blacksmith makes the tools.

The forges generally are fueld these days by what, and how much do they cost to run? 'That' is the big question for me..

It is my dream to ditch the whole generic work thing (you can't find any of it hardly any more anyways), and make stuff from home to be sold on the internet, at craft shows and fairs, and custom to order, that sits in peoples homes, on their walls, in their yards, and in their businesses.. that when their friends and customers see it, they exclaim "WOW! Where did you get that, and where can I get something like that?"

There's an artist/creator in me that's been dying to get free and express himself since I was a little kid...

I'm almost done getting the brewing thing set up and then I can settle into a routine..

Next on the agenda is to build a large format CNC router table and then CNC plasma table..

The blacksmith thing may just follow immediately after..
:mug:

i collect and ride old school BMX bikes, ski, hike and am getting into photography now.

also love to hang out with my family wife and 2 kids

Before kids my hobby was golf. I was almost as obsessed with it as I am home brewing. I loved to challenge myself at improving all aspects of my game. Kinda like how I try to improve all aspects of a brew day. I'll get back into golf when I'm old and wrinkly.

Recent video of my "other" hobby. A cardboard false bottom in a sanke is great at catching balls. Well, at least when I'm aiming.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main hobbies besides brewing are cycling (both road and mountain) and running. I'm currently training for a half-marathon and also have a couple triathalons scheduled for later in the year. I also dabble in photography some, I primarily focus on birds and other wildlife. I also enjoy fishing but I don't get out and do that much, however as soon as I convince my wife that we need a boat I'll start fishing more :)

As soon as the snow melts:

0531100937a_493536.jpg

Fishing, hunting, and play a little guitar too when I'm not riding or brewing!

Flatbottom jet boat fanatic! gotta stick to 40 horse motors because of the law on our river but with some motor work and a lightened boat you can run with over a 100 pony motors

Softball, Golf, Grilling, Paintball (used to), Running,

I see your in Lafayette too. I just got back into softball this year after a 2 or 3 year halt to play golf. Now I got sucked back in to softball this year and have only played about 4 or 5 rounds of golf.

I have an odd assortment of hobbies; some are nature/ outdoors related: wilderness canoeing, backpacking, rock climbing, hunting, fishing, and then there are the power sports ones: old British sports cars, Formula Ford racing, souped up chain saws (yupp!) and then the home stuff; woodworking, computers, reading and fixing anything. A pretty eclectic list. A friend said I have interests that are like the Platte River. I replied; "whaatt?" Response back; "yeah, a mile wide and two feet deep."

When the carboys are full I enjoy golfing, fishing, reading, hanging with the girlfriend, video games, trying new brews, playing guitar, going to school (sometimes), going to concerts,

wuilliez said:
When the carboys are full I enjoy golfing, crabbing, fishing, reading, hanging with the girlfriend, video games, trying new brews, playing guitar, going to school (sometimes), going to concerts etc.

Still love wine, commercial beer, hunting, shooting, politics, motorcycles, cigars, food, and travel.

If only I could figure out how to combine them all.

When the carboys are full I enjoy golfing, fishing, crabbing, reading, hanging with the girlfriend, video games, trying new brews, playing guitar, going to school (sometimes), going to concerts etc.

Hunting, fishing and I also have an 84 fj60 that I'm fixing up.

Photography, reading, occasional coding and finding newer and better ways to get into debt.

Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Boating, Hiking and Road Trips.
At home; Flytying/Lurecrafting, Reloading, Leatherworking, Reading - lots of reading.

Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Boating, Hiking and Road Trips.
At home; Flytying/Lurecrafting, Reloading, Leatherworking, Reading - lots of reading.

Back