Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the beef back ribs yesterday. Simple 3-2-1 method at 250 degrees.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was my best cook. I definitely over-seasoned them, as the surface area to meat ratio was lower than I thought. And they were fairly fatty, so there was even less available meat on them. For as large as the slab was, I thought the yield would be better.

That said, the flavor of the meat was superb. It was moist and well-cooked, and the meat was beefy and beautiful.

Done again, I'd obviously cut back on the rub, and I'd really look harder at the structure to see if there were any areas I should trim fat away. Or... just go for short ribs instead!

1389034225451.jpg

1389034255039.jpg

1389034268439.jpg

1389034281438.jpg

I smoked a turkey for christmas eve and pork roasts for new years. I'll have to start taking more pictures.

I've cheated, forgive me.

I had the whole picnic in my grubby paws and decided against it, as I didn't want to get up at the ass crack of dawn to fire up the BGE. I'm sleep deprived with twins currently!

So, instead I've got a 5LB boneless shoulder rubbed down and in the fridge to smoke tomorrow. I figure the kids will have me up around 7AM anyways, so I'll put it on around then to have it done and rested to eat by 730 when my wife gets home.

Homemade mac and cheese and smoked bourbon baked beans to follow with it. Maybe some slaw.

Well I was reading the New Post section and was surprised to come across this thread.. I was like WHAT, am I on the wrong website. LOL

I'm a newbie to brewing and as of today I'm into my first week of fermentation and excited that all is going well.I've smoked meats for over 30 years and just last year built up a great smoker from a hospital blanket warmer. Hardly a week goes by that my daughters don't call and ask what I'm smoking this weekend. It will be interesting to sit down to a rack of ribs and enjoy them with my own home brew.

Great web site here and love reading and learning so many things from this group of home brewers. I wish 30 years ago I would have had the internet so I could have shared and learned things unlike the trial and error method back then.

Happy brewing and smoking to all of you.

Well I was reading the New Post section and was surprised to come across this thread.. I was like WHAT, am I on the wrong website. LOL

I'm a newbie to brewing and as of today I'm into my first week of fermentation and excited that all is going well.I've smoked meats for over 30 years and just last year built up a great smoker from a hospital blanket warmer. Hardly a week goes by that my daughters don't call and ask what I'm smoking this weekend. It will be interesting to sit down to a rack of ribs and enjoy them with my own home brew.

Great web site here and love reading and learning so many things from this group of home brewers. I wish 30 years ago I would have had the internet so I could have shared and learned things unlike the trial and error method back then.

Welcome!

So..........

Watcha smokin' this weekend? :D

Big archery nut,

Welcome to the group!

I got my smoker fixed this weekend. Did some wings last night to break in the new element. Might do a bacon blanket wrapped backstrap this evening.

Cheers!!!

Deacon

Welcome!

So..........

Watcha smokin' this weekend? :D

Thanks.

Took the weekend off for some ice fishing. Did go shopping and picked up 3 full racks of ribs for next weekend and also 2-1/2 lbs of chicken wings for the following weekend. Will be busy smoking for my girls. Did a 10 lb pork butt last weekend for pull pork sandwiches for our first night of indoor archery league. Not a bit left so must have been good.

Can't wait to see how I do with my home brew.

Big archery nut,

Welcome to the group!

I got my smoker fixed this weekend. Did some wings last night to break in the new element. Might do a bacon blanket wrapped backstrap this evening.

Cheers!!!

Deacon

Thanks to you.

My girls and wife love my wings in the smoker. Can beat a backstrap in the smoker either. Is it venison? Either way yum yum. Good luck with it.

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm gonna need a recipe for that.

Sure thing! It's one I found on the 'net a while back, and I love it.

6 strips of thick cut bacon, or use some old BBQ ribs, pork, etc.
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsley chopped
1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, o
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed,
3/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce
4 tablespoons molasses, any grade
1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

I also add roughly 1/4 cup of maple syrup to mine as well.

If you don't want all the "other beans" the regular old navy beans is what I use most of the time to keep it simple. I will toss in the kidney beans majority of the time, as I think they make it thicker once it starts to cook up.

They will take around 2-3 hours in the smoker at around 250-275.

Cook the bacon slightly before you add it to the top. Sometimes I'll half cook it and cut it up and mix it IN the beans and let it cook in there and render the fat off of it.

I like to put them in a deep cast iron skillet and put it on the grate, then I use a tall grate extended in my BGE and put my meat on the top of it. So the meat drips all it's rubs and fat and juice into the beans as well. Works great as they all can cook at the same temp.

Most of the stuff in there is already cooked, aside from the bacon. So let it ride, and soak up the smoke and juices, and stir it around to your liking. Much like BBQ, it's a feel/texture/taste thing!

Sure thing! It's one I found on the 'net a while back, and I love it.

6 strips of thick cut bacon, or use some old BBQ ribs, pork, etc.
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsley chopped
1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, o
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed,
3/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce
4 tablespoons molasses, any grade
1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

I also add roughly 1/4 cup of maple syrup to mine as well.

If you don't want all the "other beans" the regular old navy beans is what I use most of the time to keep it simple. I will toss in the kidney beans majority of the time, as I think they make it thicker once it starts to cook up.

They will take around 2-3 hours in the smoker at around 250-275.

Cook the bacon slightly before you add it to the top. Sometimes I'll half cook it and cut it up and mix it IN the beans and let it cook in there and render the fat off of it.

I like to put them in a deep cast iron skillet and put it on the grate, then I use a tall grate extended in my BGE and put my meat on the top of it. So the meat drips all it's rubs and fat and juice into the beans as well. Works great as they all can cook at the same temp.

Most of the stuff in there is already cooked, aside from the bacon. So let it ride, and soak up the smoke and juices, and stir it around to your liking. Much like BBQ, it's a feel/texture/taste thing!

Thanks! Can't wait to try it.

Welcome!

There's are some fine things in life, but sitting back and enjoying some beer you made, and some good fresh Q together, it's the good life!

Smoked some wings for the Broncos game today. Also threw on a chuck roast that I just pulled. Going to shred it and add some taco season with a little beef broth (depending on how dry it is) for tacos.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Have some pulled pork coming off the smoker in an hour

looks like my fuel load will go a few more hours so I am going throw on some Salmon for desert

Did 5 racks of baby backs several days ago in freezing rain/sleet.
2014-01-09085234_zps0f2a6fe3.jpg

My Neighbor has gotten to where he just randomly drops off meat and says cook this for me when you get a chance. He gets it from the Navy Base Commissary he buys, I cook and keep half...its a pretty sweet deal. He gets meat on base for about half of what it is at the local grocery store.

That was the first time I tried out the Vertical rib rack. I like it.
2014-01-09123452_zps7cc568ac.jpg

Prolly gonna do some St. Louis ribs this weekend. Do a maple glaze on a few, and some blues hog Smokey hickory on the others.

Smoked a nice sirloin for dinner. Just got our butcher calf from the processor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

1389833808648.jpg

Ribs and pulled pork (Boston butt). The son deiced he would like sliders, so we paired them with buffalo cauliflower and dill midgets. May try our first brisket this weekend.

2014-01-12 17.33.26.jpg[/attach][/attach]

Attachments

• 2014-01-12 11.47.06.jpg
    2014-01-12 11.47.06.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 2014-01-12 11.57.49.jpg
    2014-01-12 11.57.49.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 2014-01-13 17.10.59.jpg
    2014-01-13 17.10.59.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 206
give yourself plenty of time cooking the brisket, especially if you plan on making burnt ends with the point.

I just picked one up at GFS, she is 13.5 lbs before trimming. Not sure I'll get to it this weekend. But thanks for the time management heads up.

Got some spare and loin ribs to toss on the BGE this weekend at some point. Also gonna re do some of my bourbon smoked baked beans..

Gonna raise up the ribs on a rack and let 'em drip in the beans while it all smokes.

Not sure what day, as it's gonna be cold here tomorrow, but I'm also planning on trying to brew along side.

Asked my better half to pick up a couple Boston butts for Monday morning serving. She did a supremo job of selecting. Putting them on Sunday night for an overnighter. Salivating, just thinking about it.....

First attempt at a fatty at the firehouse. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390140168.664022.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390140181.085839.jpg
Guys seemed to like it. Need to either bump the heat or use thin cut bacon next time.
Not bad for first attempt.

It is called a fatty or bacon explosion.

We had scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, and hash browns inside, and bacon weaved on top.

Pretty good, but I will tweak it next time.

I really need to work on actually taking pictures when I cook... Cooked a 8lb butt with a few chunks of hickory, rubbed with yardbird. I wasnt paying attention and concentrated too much on meat temp, waited too long to probe the meat, ended up a hair mushy. Didn't foil this time at the stall, and the bark was better than if I foiled. I need more yardbird, almost used up the last of what I have. I bet if I used a rub that had more sugar it would have been a lot darker.

So, my wife somehow got her hands on a Wildsau (Wild Boar) picnic. What the hell do I do with this thing?

Never cooked it! I've had wild boar at the local butcher shop though. This is what he did. He chopped his up and made it into a sliced pork sandwich. Basically, he took about a 4 oz piece of meat, sliced it up threw it into a grill pan with some bacon. Then he threw it on the grill and closed the lid for a few minutes. After that he coated it with BBQ sauced, tossed it to get everything nice and covered and cooked it for a few more minutes. Served it on a small toasted kaiser roll with some coleslaw. It was pretty tasty.

If you want to do a large piece, 4-8lbs, I think I'd do it like a pork shoulder, except with bacon draped over it so it doesn't dry out, as boar is extremely lean. That lean meat should sop up flavors though.

Back