Flavor Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASamWitch

Reaction score
I racked my first batch of mead in November (6 gallons) and before I bottle I was thinking of taking half (3-1 gallon carboys) and doing some flavors. I would like to do a vanilla/lavender as one (looking for a recipe). Any other ideas/recipes that you would suggest?

OK, here is what I decided to do. 1 lavender/vanilla (1/2 cup dried flowers-1oz van extract), 1 strawberry (pound frozen) and one chocolate (6oz nestle powder).
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Interesting... Let us know how it turns out. I'm especially curious about the vanilla/lavender and the chocolate. I've always seen vanilla added as the bean. I had 1 mead that called for vanilla extract and it really didnt come through. Though it is still very young.

Interesting... Let us know how it turns out. I'm especially curious about the vanilla/lavender and the chocolate. I've always seen vanilla added as the bean. I had 1 mead that called for vanilla extract and it really didnt come through. Though it is still very young.
If you use a vanilla pod, then you'll usually get maximum extraction of the colour/flavour.

After all, vanilla extract is made with alcohol to extract the colour/flavour so putting one in a batch is gonna do exactly the same thing, though obviously it'll be a more dilute flavour......

I think you can extract lavender in the same way........ not sure

regards

fatbloke

I bottled these 3 today. The lavender was divine! Strawberry was a bit on the tart side, hopeful it will mellow over time. The chocolate was good but must confess, my least favorite of the three. I will be doing more of the lavender in the near future. May increase the vanilla to 1 1/2 oz.

Mental note: will make sure to eat something before bottling next time. Sampling without food in tummy is a sure fire way to get an early buzz.

I bottled these 3 today. The lavender was divine! Strawberry was a bit on the tart side, hopeful it will mellow over time. The chocolate was good but must confess, my least favorite of the three. I will be doing more of the lavender in the near future. May increase the vanilla to 1 1/2 oz.

Mental note: will make sure to eat something before bottling next time. Sampling without food in tummy is a sure fire way to get an early buzz.

Yes, yes it certainly is!!! Eat and bottle is what I do :)

Lavender/vanilla sounds wonderful. I have loads of lavander blossoms I buy for using to scent soaps and sachets that I make. I may have to put that on my to make list. :)

Back