GE 7.0cf Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgtheborg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received delivery of my new GE 7.0 cf freezer from HD this morning and am pretty stoked on getting my build started. Most of the other parts have been ordered and I will update this thread when everything starts coming in.

I have been lurking on the forum for a long time and finally am taking the plunge. Thanks in advance to all the people that have previously posted their builds - it has been a huge help and an inspiration for me to get my butt in gear. Cheers! :mug:

~Morgan

Will do, BigRigg.

Tom - I used your thread as inspiration to take the plunge - appreciate the write up. I am going to use your method of taking off the original seal and putting it on the bottom of the collar. I'll let you know how it goes. Also probably going to rip your chalkboard paint idea - love that.

Box #2 arrived this afternoon - UPS delivered them at two different times...go figure :drunk:

5# CO2 tank:

5 Ball-Lock Kegs:

Looks like the rest of the parts will be here on Tuesday from Northern Brewer. I'm looking forward to getting everything set up soon!

I use the chalk board much more than I expected to. I keep a running tally of the CO2 tank, last weight/refill/etc on one side. I make note of when I swap out a keg of water so I have an idea how long one lasts. I note when I hook up a new keg for carbing. And any other random jot that I need to keep handy. I love it.

I just bought a 6 month old freezer the same model as yours this morning off craigslist in perfect condition. Going to be following what you do for yours for ideas to build my keezer.

How many taps are you putting in? How much is your cost so far?

How many taps are you putting in? How much is your cost so far?

Going to put in 2 to start to make sure that I have all my parts correct and everything running smoothly. I plan to expand to 4-6 depending on how many kegs I can fit in there.

The cost has been a little crazy since I am starting from scratch, but I am at round $600 for everything, which doesn't seem so bad with all new parts.

Snapped a quick pic on the way to work of the freezer - nice blurrycam shot:

Hoping my other parts come tonight so I can get started!

The beer fairy arrived (FedEx) with the rest of my parts!

2 of these set ups for my taps:

1 3-way CO2 distro and 2 gas connections:

If all goes well, I will be adding another 2 or 3 valve distro for the other pressure and the accompanying taps. Baby steps here...

I got 1/4" beer line and from what I'm seeing on the boards, I should have gotten 3/16". Gonna stop by the local homebrew shop and pick some up on the way home.

Almost ready to start the build!

How do you plan on doing the collar? Attached to the lid or freezer? What size?

I am planning on attaching the collar to the lid to minimize the amount I have to lift the kegs (I'm short, so this has proven to be difficult, hahaha). I want to collar to be as tall as possible while still putting base with wheels on the bottom and still fit in the space I have for it (which is 50" tall). It is looking like an 8" collar will fit, so that's what I have planned for thus far. I'm trying to get the tap handles as close to the top as possible so it is a comfortable pour, so I might go with larger wheels and a smaller collar depending on how much room I need for the keg.

I am going to get the full measurements completed this weekend, so I'll let you know once everything is set.

I'm only putting three taps in. I don't brew quite enough to keep four going at all times and I didn't want to deal with the air flow issue by packing it too tight. If I decide I want more taps in the future I'll probably build another collar anyway.

Don't forget one for a soda fountain. :p

I actually have two carbing water right now but that will change as soon as I catch up with my brewing... doing two batches this weekend.

This whole thing is setting my back somewhat so I won't have money to brew fro a few weeks. I do have a hopfather clone that is sitting in secondary waiting to be kegged. I am upgrading all my equipment to get into all grain too. Hopefully I can get a batch brewed next Sunday, but I doubt I can have a wort chiller here in time, unless I DIY...

I'm happy with extract and specialty grain steeping for now. I'm sure I'll go AG eventually but for now I just want to expand my knowledge, understanding and experience brewing before adding another level of complexity to it.

This whole thing is setting my back somewhat so I won't have money to brew fro a few weeks. I do have a hopfather clone that is sitting in secondary waiting to be kegged. I am upgrading all my equipment to get into all grain too. Hopefully I can get a batch brewed next Sunday, but I doubt I can have a wort chiller here in time, unless I DIY...

DIY wortchiller is like 25 bucks, and easy to build.

Keep the pics coming on your keezer!

Finally made some additional progress! I created the movable base the keezer sits on:

And made the collar:

And decided to insulate the collar:

I attached the collar to the lid with caulk and out the original rubberized stripping on the bottom of the collar (thanks TomSD for the advice/build thread!):

Will be attaching all the hardware this week.

First package arrived from kegconnection.com :rockin:

Dual Regulator:

Tubes:

Is your one regulator already shot? It looks like the needle is pointing up without any pressure and the paper behind it is crooked??? It doesn't look like there's any pressure going to it. Whats the deal?

Back