I love my mom! and want to make her lunch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make her something special for lunch on Mothers Day.

I am taking SWMBO (not the momma)...(not my momma) out for dinner and my mom is gonna watch the kids for us while we are gone (she is the best).

My mom is on one of those low carb diets now and I want to make something that fits. I was thinking something from the grill paired with some kind of salad.

I am open to any suggestions. I just want it to be memorable for her.

Thanks in advance.

Grill? Kebab. Though i guess rice is a no-go with low-carb. Basmati is apparently very healthy tho. It works well for people with celiac disease or diabetes. Something about a low glycemic index. Dunno. I don't pay attention to those kinds of things. It tastes good. If you're going strictly low-carb, chicken marsala with caeser salad could be good. Perhaps some steamed veggies on the side. You can even grill a big fat portabello if you want to make it a vegetarian meal, though the sauce won't be the same. Chicken marsala is a pretty salty dish, though.

Grill? Kebab. Though i guess rice is a no-go with low-carb. Basmati is apparently very healthy tho. It works well for people with celiac disease or diabetes. Something about a low glycemic index. Dunno. I don't pay attention to those kinds of things. It tastes good. If you're going strictly low-carb, chicken marsala with caeser salad could be good. Perhaps some steamed veggies on the side. You can even grill a big fat portabello if you want to make it a vegetarian meal, though the sauce won't be the same. Chicken marsala is a pretty salty dish, though.

It is just one of those womens diet things. No health reasons for it.

Nice suggestion. Chicken marsala...been a while but I love it! And grilled portabello sounds great...things I would not have thought of myself. Thanks.

More suggestions welcome.

I love me a good Grilled Salmon Salad.

I actually love salads, but add some grilled meat (chicken, steak, salmon...) and I'm in heaven!

Grilled fillet of salmon. 1lb salmon fillets (rinsed), marinated in kikkoman soy sauce (1 lg bottle) & lemon juice (fresh squeezed from 5 lemons) for 1 hour, 30 mins each side. Place flesh side down on the grill & keep an eye on the sides for when to turn, should be about 8-10 minutes. The key to grilling salmon is to only turn it once.

When it's ready, gently turn so the skin side is down & let it finish cooking for about 8 more minutes. If it burns a bit on the skin side, that's OK, you don't eat the skin. The flesh should start to separate by itself when it's done. I like to serve this with a garnish of fresh dill. For side dishes, I like fresh asparagus & scallions sauteed in butter and baby carrots in a ginger/honey glaze. I just stir-fry the carrots in butter, with minced fresh ginger, though dried & powdered ginger will work too.

I like the veggies to be cooked, but still a little crunchy. Add about 1/4 cup of honey (per pound of carrots) and 1/8 cup water about 1 minute before removing from heat. keep it moving or it'l burn. I like a good riesling with it, but serve with your fav beverage. Hope this helps. Regards, GF.

I LOVE Blackened Chicken Caesar salad. I blacken the chicken outside on a cast iron skillet using the propane burner (my brewing burner).

Or maybe grilled salmon with a side of oven roasted asparagus plus a small vinaigrette salad? Just lightly coat the asparagus with olive oil and a little kosher salt and black pepper and roast at 350* for ~10 minutes (check the florets to see when it's done, they'll be done first). Or you could cut it up and saute it (with a little garlic in addition to the stuff above). Grill the salmon with the skin on, start it flesh side down and cook it most of the way with the flesh side down to get a nice crust (rotate it ~60* after a couple of minutes to get cross-hatched grill marks). Flip it over and after a minute or two you should be able to slide a metal spatula between the flesh and the skin, lift off the flesh and leave the skin on the grill. It should come right off real easy. It should be med-rare inside (maybe a touch more) with a nice crust on top. A quick and easy dill cream sauce for the fish is just ranch dressing with a bunch of dill and a little lemon juice.

My dog actually likes the skin.

I second the chicken marsala recipe. I've made several different variations from the interwebs, and I thought they were all good. My wife prefers that the chicken is NOT breaded (some call for a light breading). Also, I put the chicken in a big baggie and pound it thin with a rubber mallet. I think this works better than a rolling pin. And make certain to use marsala wine, of course. Good Luck.

Wow maybe this was a bad idea to ask. Everything sounds so good its hard to decide. I may have to see what I can find for salmon. That is not something we have very often and I would like it to be special.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I went with the Chicken Marsala (couldn't find much for salmon), some asparagus on the side and a nice salad. It was a huge hit! I will make this again!

Thanks all:mug:

Back