Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top burner is mounted directly to the metal grate under the keggle. The bottom burner is sitting on a cradle made from banding strap that is bolted to the inside of the shelves. That way I can lift it out if I want to use it separately from the brew stand.

I would suspect that the relatively thin grate steel will eventually degrade and break apart from the direct flame of the burner. Time will tell of course, but I would pay particular close attention as that same grate is the only thing supporting a very heavy keggle full of very hot liquor, at a considerable height!

I would suspect that the relatively thin grate steel will eventually degrade and break apart from the direct flame of the burner. Time will tell of course, but I would pay particular close attention as that same grate is the only thing supporting a very heavy keggle full of very hot liquor, at a considerable height!
Yeah, this is a concern. The edges of the keggle actuall rest on the inside rails of the main beams. I have plans to add in some cross supports for it to rest on. I'm gonna get a brew on it and keep an eye on it to see how it holds up.

Would you be able to and or willing to pm me a parts list with dimensions? I'm interested in building a stand three vessel stand

Done with RIMS tube.

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

I built this stand yesterday using the McMaster-Carr parts list. 5 hours start to finish.
I fired it up today for a test run and burn-off. I filled 2 kegs with about 3-4 gallons and brought to boil.
Afterwards I noticed the steel had bent in a couple of places where the kegs sit. Imagine the weight with 12 gallons boiling
Has this happened to those who have built this stand with these parts?

upload_2017-11-18_20-0-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-18_20-0-33.png
    upload_2017-11-18_20-0-33.png
    592.8 KB · Views: 120
I built this stand yesterday using the McMaster-Carr parts list. 5 hours start to finish.
I fired it up today for a test run and burn-off. I filled 2 kegs with about 3-4 gallons and brought to boil.
Afterwards I noticed the steel had bent in a couple of places where the kegs sit. Imagine the weight with 12 gallons boiling
Has this happened to those who have built this stand with these parts?

View attachment 546244

I've been running my stand for about 7 years. I have the same bends have not had an issue. What I did do is add additional supports to the long rails under the center of each keg.

I took a picture of a spot there in the posted photo that looked like the metal has stretch cracks but it was too blurry to post. I may have to buy another 6 footer and reinforce those areas from underneath so not to stack too high on top and cause unbalance.

I took a picture of a spot there in the posted photo that looked like the metal has stretch cracks but it was too blurry to post. I may have to buy another 6 footer and reinforce those areas from underneath so not to stack too high on top and cause unbalance.

What I would suggest is moving that support at the left of the picture to the center of where the weight of the keggle sits. Front and back.

I built a larger version of this to accommodate 33 gal kettles. See attached pics for where I've added supports and gussets. Note the bent metal where the kettles sit (rig is currently configured for 10 gal batches).

I should also note that since I'm running nat gas now I've switched out the hurricanes for 23 tip 160,000 BTU burners. I've brewed a lot of beer on this and haven't died in a boiling batch of sugar water yet. Yet...

brew stand.jpg

Holy Cow.
Was this bend from the heat or dropping something on it?
upload_2017-11-18_21-5-45.png

Heat, but the bending happened on the first brew and hasn't moved since. There are 4 rails and the kettle rides on the edge on each side. With the big kettles I start a boil at about 25 gal. So with the kettle it's about 250 lbs and a blazing hot burner. That's why I have the supports directly under the center line.

I’d be a little leery of this material as it is not really rated as a structural member. Add some major heat to that and things could get a little dicey. Strut is much much stronger and structurally rated. Across a 36” length/beam it can support over 3,000 lbs. Also the same cost or less (depending on where you get your supplies). Here’s a thread I started a few years ago, just to reference another option that I know is much more sturdy having used both materials in the past.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-weldless-build-using-strut.363128/

I tried this one out for a couple of 15 gallon brew sessions and came up with a few needed changes. I found the burners to open and I needed to direct the heat to the vessels better. I made some thick heat shields and added them to the stand. The bottom burner was too close to the ground, it was discoloring our patio. I raised it up using the 90 degree strut brackets. The top burner even though it had a new shield, was heating the top of my mash tun more than I likes. I added the diamond plate shield as well. That did the trick. The large base let’s me use it as a cart as well. I can get my rig from the garage to the patio in one trip.
IMG_1518801346.667119.jpg
IMG_1518801369.548695.jpg
IMG_1518801384.168943.jpg
IMG_1518801395.556350.jpg

Next up 15 gallons of stout. We’ll see if the upgrades do the trick.

Back