2P-Twent-E: the new Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is insanely awesome. I recently scrapped my ideas for a toolbox control panel in favor of a square electrical enclosure, but I've always drooled over yours (and a few others). The toolbox is so aesthetically pleasing. Jealous.

Wow...looks fantastic all put together. Love the Tolkien font too - perfect touch for a hobby for both Hobbits and kings.

When & what will be the maiden brew?

I'm the guy resurrecting zombie threads AGAIN. Have you brewed on the system since it's been 'finished'? What has been your efficiency into the fermenter? I know there was a few brew days documented with the simple design, what's the verdict on this one?

I haven't brewer on the new on yet, but it is the exact same process. It will come out to be about 70% the way I run the brewday. I am very consistently at about 70% into the ferementer on the Simple.

What are the limiting factors keeping this system at 70%? I am not an efficiency chaser, but if the you folks on here are at 70% I can assume my efficiency would be around 60% as I am still in the brewing primate stage.

What are the limiting factors keeping this system at 70%? I am not an efficiency chaser, but if the you folks on here are at 70% I can assume my efficiency would be around 60% as I am still in the brewing primate stage.

Not necessarily. Many systems have equipment losses (leave wort stuck in the lines), but not sure about BK's system. Many people with cooler tuns and non-automated equipment get 80%+ efficiency. The real trick is having it be consistent - I'd take a consistent 70% versus a sporadic 75-85% any day.

Mostly I am lazy. Ha. I just don't take the time to do a very long fly sparge or to do multiple batch sparges. I just drain into my fermentation bucket while fly sparging onto the grain bed, and runt he whole thing through in maybe 15 minutes. That coupled with the fact that I usually mash pretty thin (at least 1.5 qt/# and more often 2 qt/#) and I end up with 70%.

It would be no problem to get he efficiency higher if you wanted to take the time and effort.

The way I run these systems I don't end up with any equipment loss. I typically lose about 3% of total system efficiency in the trub before draining to kettle. Other than that, efficiency typically breaks down like this:

97% conversion efficiency. I lose about 3% of the theoretical potential still in the grains (this is typical)

78-80% lauter efficiency. That means I get usually about 78% of the available sugars into the kettle. The 20% that are left behind are in the wort left in the kettle on in sugars stuck to grains.

So after lautering I have about 75% potential into the kettle.

After the boil and chilling, I drain through a strainer into my fermenter.

I lose about 3% usually to hops absorption and trub, and a bit is left in the kettle typically.

As you can see, the easy improvement is to do a more thorough job lautering. I just take the fast route, since my time is generally more valuable than the extra two dollars in grain.

BK-I was assuming that the sparge was where at least a few points were. Would one just recirculate/sparge for a longer period of time? Say 45mins-hour? I currently average 72-80% in a plain ole cooler system, but am very interested in what you and jkarp have done with these two vessel systems. I'd like to reach a 75% average efficiency, I was just curious if it were the equipment that was limiting or your process. We each have our own process, and if the beer tastes good all the better! I'll be starting my own build thread soon, but I assure you, it won't look nearly as nice. Cheers to you sir.

Sitting pretty in her new home...

CIMG7184.jpg

Your assistant brewer/munchkin is awfully cute (and enthusiastic!) ...but I gotta ask....what's the story behind the religious cards in front of the kettle? Tribute to lost family? Blessings over the beer? Patron Saint of Brewing?

I think that's a recipe card. I recall Boeroasdoiajsd kabousdfu making a line of IPAs called the Twelve Hopostles.

Do you have a full parts list for the control panel? I want to do something similar with my RIMS heater and pump being controlled independently. Thanks in advance.

I do have full parts lists for all my builds. send me an email to jstalbot at gmail dot com if you are interested.

iijakii is correct. The religious card is a label for the beer being brewed. I brewed 12 beers over one weekend and it was imperative to keep the logistics straight. The labels ensured I knew what was in the kettle/tun.

Back