Diet Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of the posts regarding making your own soda, and am very interesting. I have made three recipes to date with my little brother and just used 2 liter bottles with homemade carbonator caps? Worked great.

My thing is I am kind of a diet soda guy. Eat to much sugar already and would like to modify the recipes to at least reduce the amount of sugar.

Does anyone have experience with simply substituting out some or all of the sugar with splenda?

Thanks in advance!

At the moment I am just carbing 5 gallons of water and keeping sugar free syrups on hand. But I too am interested in making some diet sodas using splenda. My understanding is that Splenda is sweeter then sugar.
http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=splenda/newspromotions/press/release/5_23_2006b.inc
says that SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener is available in granular form in a 9.7 oz. Baker's Bag, equivalent in sweetness to 5 lbs. of sugar.

Since your using two-liter bottles you could run some test batches to find just the right amount of splenda to add. Also since your using a carbonator cap you won't have to worry about adding any real sugar for the yeast. I would be interested in how it works out for you.

Mcduff

Back