boiling starter in erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmeister

Reaction score
When I make starters for my yeast I usually use a normal pot and then let it cool in the freezer with the lid on. Then I'll flame the edge's of the pot and pour the wort into my sanitized Erlenmeyer Flask.
E. Flaskes are safe to use under a flame. Could I boil the wort in the flask with a piece of foil loosely over the opening so as to "sanitize the opening and foil with the steam produced by boiling? Has anyone ever done this? It would be a lot easyer for me to just do this instead of boiling in a separate pot. And the boil and steam should sanitize everything including the opening and foil? Has anyone ever done this? Thoughts? Thanks

Even easier, and for certainty that the neck was sterile would be to keep some Starsan in a spray bottle and just give everything a little squirt. Then again, you could just flame everything.

You have an E Flask and foil. You are golden to flame everything or sanitize with starsan. I think you might be over thinking! :)

If course you can. I do this all the time. As long as your E Flask is big enough to boil in (with some headroom to prevent boilover), you are good to go.

I always boil in my flask (4L). I would not put the foil on top because a lot of vapor escapes and you don't want a bomb. I also boil my stir bar (if you have a stir plate) and yeast nutrients.

Oh yeah, here is a bit of advice that you will need: Fermcap-S. 2 drops is always sufficient. No boil over. Flasks become volcanos without it.

Absolutely. We do that all the time in lab. You could then place that in a pressure cooker if you wanted to be absolutely paranoid. I would just stick with boiling in the flask and then flame the edges-you get contact with bacteria no matter what!

Back