Getting concerned! Is it time to dump in the compost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone was hoping someone could help me either ease my fears, or go dump my esb in the compost. Brewed an AG red hook esb clone frome 150 clone beers book. Everything went well...hit all the numbers etc..Only problem was I didn't have the american ale yeast recommended...so 3 days before brew time I reconstituted the wyeast irish ale yeast from a bottle of a taddy porter clone I made a couple months back. Next problem, couldn't find my glass jug I use for starters (probably got recycled), so I used a 1 gallon plastic jug. I know plastic is bad because of potential oxidation. Starter seemed to work fine....krausen and everything....pitched it and fermentation was on whithin 4 hours (48 hour vigorous , very vigorous, "what the hell is going on in there" type fermentation ensued). Ok...transfered to secondary after one week (gravity was close to target), now it's been two weeks and the yeast is still in suspension, fg is on the money and the beer tastes slightly sour. Not "oh crap this beer is bad", more like "something is off and why is all the yeast still floating around". I know this strain is not highly flocculant, but I'm getting concerned. I'm worried my yeast got infected, or I'm just being paranoid. Only lost 1 beer to infection in 12 years. Any thoughts? Thanks

I'd give it another 2 weeks and see how it tastes. I've found that a "sour" taste interpretation can sometimes come from acetaldehyde. If it's infected it will get worse, if it's something like acetaldehyde it will get better as the yeast clean up after themselves. It's still a little early to tell.

Back