Oxygenator vs. More Beer's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMass

Reaction score
Any difference between More Beer's Oxygen system $30 and the Oxygenator $50-60? I guess if I can't decide if I need one of these, why would I pay more? My current method is to pour my wort between my ferment pail and boil bucket through a strainer now. When there is too much foam to pour anymore I stop. 1.060 is a typical OG for my beers.

On the one hand, I'm not unhappy with my beers. However, I'm not opposed to improving and I do like a drier beer.

Unless you tend to get stuck fermentations, I wouldn't bother. Shaking/pouring back and forth is more than adequate if you pitch enough yeast.

To get a slightly drier beer, you can reduce your mash temp by a degree or two, and slowly ramp up the fermentation temperature into the mid-70s as activity begins to subside. Warmer temps give the yeasties a little more comfortable environment as they deal with ethanol toxicity and complex sugars, delaying their flocculation a little.

The systems all include a screw on regulator and a stainless diffusion stone. Some have a flexible hose to connect the two and some have a solid stainless wand attached to the stone. I like the idea of the latter to keep the stone where you want it. Those regulators are probably the most marked up piece of brewing gear there is but there just doesn't seem to be a cheaper to get O2 out of disposable tanks.

The systems all include a screw on regulator and a stainless diffusion stone. Some have a flexible hose to connect the two and some have a solid stainless wand attached to the stone. I like the idea of the latter to keep the stone where you want it. Those regulators are probably the most marked up piece of brewing gear there is but there just doesn't seem to be a cheaper to get O2 out of disposable tanks.

Look and ask around as there are many legal owner owned bottles out there, sure a exchange plus a fill charge will cost you but again many times cheaper than those HD disposable bottles. Besides the big savings you have an investment that you always can sell.
I've picked up owner owned Linde 260 cu/ft O2 , Argon and Helium down to I believe 70 cu/ft for a matched set of owner owned "Q" bottle O/A units from $10 260 cu/ft to $45 a pair of "Q" bottles with papers. Besides used for heating and bending steel with a rosebud the O2 bottles with Victor regulator and a medical L/minute flow meter are great for adding O2 thru a stainless stone in the fermenter. Refilled larger bottles keep the cost per cu/ft way down vs those disposable bottles. My way of thinking if you plan on brewing a long time including 150 to 215 cu/ft Nitrogen/Co2 stout gas bottles. Co2 20# are common and cheap to collect.

Back