Harvesting from Rogue Chocloate Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
There have been a bunch of threads lately about harvesting Rogue's Pacman yeast from their Brutal Bitter and their Shakespear Stout. I would like to give that a try, so I headed down to our local liquor store (which has almost everything under the sun). They had sixers of Brutal Bitter, but no 22oz bottles. They didn't have any Shakespear Stout in any form. But they did have a 22 of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. Anyone ever try harvesting from that? Does anyone know if they condition that stout with Pacman as well? I'll shell out for a sixer of Brutal if I have to, but I'd rather just pick up a 22. Any info would be helpful. :mug:
Thanks!

You should be fine using the Choc Stout, Rogue uses Pacman for that beer as well, actually there are only a few beers they don't use Pacman for.

Built up my first step last night, 2 cups. Came home for lunch and had a very nice layer of yeast. I think I'll step it up to a quart tonight. Then two quarts in a day or two. This is very exciting!

Very cool. I plan to use the PacMan when I get my mitts on some fresh 2008 hops for my late hop harvest celebration screw-the-hop-shortage IPA. It seems everyone has good luck culturing this yeast whereas some others can be tricky.

Revvy, what temp did you ferment the PacMan at? I know you are as anal about temp control as I am. :D

At least one of the batches I put so many ice bottles into my swamp cooler I managed to get the water bath down to around 55, for the initial phases of fermentation, so I would say that the wort itself was in the low 60's...I've also done it where the beer was fermenting in at maybe 70's at it's peak...

The brewmaster for rogue wrote somewhere that the ONLY range he ferments with pacman is between 60 and 70 degrees...

Stepped it up, and the yeast has doubled in size over night. I'll be stepping it up to 1/2 gallon today or tomorrow, and then will pitch it onto my porter. Yum!

How long can I hold on to the harvested yeast before using it? And what's the best way to store it?
I was planning on making an IPA soon, but work has handed down conflicting schedules, so I will need to put this yeast on hold. Thoughts?

Back