First time yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
I boiled a pot of water for about 20 min let it cool on the stove while I racked my beer the brought Carboy upstairs and poured the water in without checking the temp I know it wasn't room temp yet. Do you think it will ruin the yeast?

It well could stress them out.

Same thinking here. Collect it, let it settle for a day or two and take a little bit and make a small starter. Smell and taste the starter wort after it's done fermenting and make a call. My suggestion if I was in your shoes. Not a real scientific answer to a non-scientific scenario, works in my book.

It's when I discovered yeast rinsing/washing that I realized yeast are living organisms, and the success to good beer is with happy yeast. I really didn't know much about homebrewing until focusing on the yeast.

- The purpose of boiling the water is to keep the yeast's food as pure (sterile) as possible, so their output (beer) will be pure, also.
- The purpose of cooling the water is to keep the yeast comfortable.
- The purpose of dumping the water into the carboy is to separate the LIVE yeast in the liquid from the DEAD yeast and other inanimate trub.
- The purpose of refrigerating that yeasty liquid is to put the yeast to sleep so you can separate it from the "dirty" liquid that contains output of some of the former recipe.
- The purpose of cooling the wort is to, again, keep the yeast comfortable.
- The purpose of gradually warming the refrigerated yeast slurry to room temp is because that's what temp the wort will be for the most part... you want them as close as possible, so as to minimize shock.

Remember... yeast are people, too, man!! ;)

image-3513229494.jpg

Back