Saturday is Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Saturday is international teach a friend to homebrew day.
I will be having 5-6 people over to make a ten gallon batch of my Rock-N-Rye Amber (see sig/drop down). It also means we get to have another party when it's ready to drink!
Anyone else participating in the day's celebration?

My SWMBO is going to be in town, going to have her be my brew bit..ASSISTANT and make an Irish Red :-D

On Saturday I will be celebrating the birthday of the Marine Corps, but in the last two weeks I have turned one friend on to brewing and another friend is an extract brewer but has been coming over to observe AG.

Hey, that's cool.
One of our members, Chucabra or whatever he calls himself on this forum,
is doing a AG demo at the LHBS where he works on Saturday. The weather looks to be OK for the weekend, so I hope everything goes well and he gets a nice crowd.
I'm on call that weekend, but hope to be able to make it there for moral support if nothing else.

I have a fam reunion on sat where the adults will be making and sampling a sweet stout. The kids will be helping me make a batch of rootbeer. Should be a good time to try out the new keg setup

I'm going to the grand opening of our LHBS here in Vegas. Trying to encourage the other locals to go and show their support....possibly meeting a couple there. I'm prepared to go in and drop 100$ in the store, provided it's a good shop.

But, all my friends think I'm crazy for making beer the hard way. None of them are interested. Oh well... I'll just brew alone as usual.

I have been planning for this for about a Month. Doing RL's First Annual Brew and BarbQ day. I will be brewing a 10 gallon batch of Black Forest Stout. I will be cooking burgers and Dogs for the Company. I will also have 3 Kegs on Tap and I expect 10-14 people here. Looking forward to Saturday!!!:ban:

The club I'm in will be doing a brewing demo and tasting a the Blue and Gray Brewery in Fredericksburg, VA. The LHBS, Roxbury Mills will also be there with goodies for sale.

Yeah I'm running an AG demo at the shop. What's funny is that I had no idea it was Teach a Friend day until after I set it up.

The Eugene club, Cascade Brewers Society are having a Teach a Friend day event. There will be about 4 of us brewing and teaching. If anyone in the area is interested, let me know and I will send you the specifics.

Tom

Our west side club has gotten together with a local Eagles Airy for a brewout. We'll have burgers, brauts, and dogs along with several kegs of beer. All proceeds will go to the Childrens Burn and Trauma Camp Courage. 3 of my kegs will be on tap, Bock, Vanilla Porter, and my Irish Red Rye. I'll be brewing 16.5 gallons of the Irish Red Rye in AG. It's going to be a great day.

Our west side club has gotten together with a local Eagles Airy for a brewout. We'll have burgers, brauts, and dogs along with several kegs of beer. All proceeds will go to the Childrens Burn and Trauma Camp Courage. 3 of my kegs will be on tap, Bock, Vanilla Porter, and my Irish Red Rye. I'll be brewing 16.5 gallons of the Irish Red Rye in AG. It's going to be a great day.

Irish Red Rye sounds very interesting. Have you posted a recipe for this somewhere?

Since TFB day always lands on the same weekend as New England Cider fest or whatever it's called, The Whales always move it out to the following weekend. If anyone near NJ is looking to join us Nov 8th, let me know.

I will be teaching myself and my wife how to brew on Saturday. It's our first time, but I've seen it done before. I guess the "teach a friend day" is just an added bonus for the occasion.

Anyone around Little Rock doing anything special?

MT

Well, I missed this by a week then. Got a friend up and running, and a batch in the pail, last week.

I'll be at Austin Homebrew with another member of the local HB club. We'll start the first batch at 11:00 AM this Saturday in the parking lot.

C'mon by. I may even have some Apfelwein. :D

I taught my Dad how to brew last Saturday. "I enjoyed learning how to brew beer. It was nice just to sit and relax, and watch someone else run around." -Dad

Well, I ended up with only two friends coming by. One of whom is already an extract brewer. The other one had fun and said once he has a place with some space he'd like to have me come by and help set him up.
Brew day had some hickups. First my mill wouldn't work because a screw had come loose, took 10 min to figure that one out. Then we had some water delays when I asked SWMBO to heat up our sparge water and she used cold tap water. Hit our mash temp dead on (yeay). Then when taking a hydrometer sample pre-boil I got a ridiculous reading of 1.070! Should have been 1.044. So I was getting water ready to thin it out with. Then I took another hyro reading after cooling and it was at 1.042 when it was supposed to be 1.053. Ouch. Must have gotten a poorly mixed sample the first time. Wish I had know so I could have fixed it.
Otherwise, all went well. I've got two 5 gal carboys, one with 1028 London Ale, one with Nottingham, and an extra gallon of 1.042 wort for future yeast starters (that's a huge bonus for me).

Despite a rainy day, the WHALES had a decent turnout (we had to move the event to 11/8).

2008_tfb_at_bobbys_20081109_1308883077.jpg

Had a delayed event here at my place. My BIL tagged along while I brewed a smoked porter....just a few pics of process and equipment:

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

We ended up brewing 105 gallons of beer, wine, and mead. We also had entertainment from a local belly dancer group.
PICT0001.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Anyone else participating in the day's celebration?

Unaware what day it was, I did have 3 people over to show them how to home brew! Did 2 5 gals, an American Red and the one friend bought a Beglian Dubbel kit and made it after watching me on the Red. 3 new people hooked. =)

Latest posts

Back