The Beer Gods...They Conspire Against Me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I've done to infuriate the Beer Gods so mightily, but evidently I have.

I am new to brewing. I've brewed 1 (one) batch which I plan on bottling tonight. I've had to make 3 (three) internet orders for supplies and ALL THREE have ended up with something wrong.

Order 1 left out part of my order (they gladly shipped me the missing piece when I notified them), Order 2 was grain that was not crushed (they gladly redid the order with which I was WELL pleased - both with the service and professionalism!), and now Order 3 is held up because the store was out of 2 Row Pale Malt.

I ordered on Tuesday EARLY in the AM planning on brewing this weekend since we finally have decent weather. This place has a rep for SUPER fast shipping. I hadn't heard anything other than my payment had been processed (on Tuesday), so I called. The guy was very polite and courteous and checked on my order for me only to tell me that they didn't have any pale malt. He said it'd be there this afternoon to be shipped out promptly. That really doesn't help me for this weekend.

All that to say that I believe They Who Preside Over All Things Beer hate me. I just want to brew. Seriously. Is it too much to ask?

On the other hand, I have been getting some pretty good deals lately:
2, 20lb CO2 tanks and a dual regulator for $50 (CL) and 2 never used chrome faucets for $21 shipped. Not to mention the 1/2 HP submersible pump I scored at the HF sidewalk sale for $25.

So while I am unable to brew I guess I'm breaking even at this point. Maybe if I pour out a beer or two to the Gods they will relent and leave me be. Worth a shot I guess...

Rant:Over

Might be worth a drive to a nearby store if possible. Where are you located? I have to drive about an hour to get to the closest real LHBS.

All things considered, it seems the Gods have been pretty good to you. Glad you got your orders corrected and you will have your grain although it may not be in time. Be patient Grasshopper and plan a little further in advance. (this coming from someone who still "samples" beer two days after bottling)

Sounds like you either need to find a local homebrew store or switch to a different on-line supplier.

1 goof up order - **** happens.
2 - Give them the benefit of the doubt.
3 - I take my business elsewhere.

Look at it this way. It's kind of like paying your dues. Everybody goes through it. It just makes you want to brew even more.
Eventually you will have most of your equipment(you never have it all). Also, you'll likely start buying ingredients in bulk so you can brew whenever you darn well please.

You all make excellent points. Bulk grain buys are in my future...I wouldn't say immediate future, but probably not my DISTANT future either. Wonder if I can hide all that grain from SWMBO...

My closest LHBS is in Nashville, which is about an hour or so away. I've checked their prices and they ain't that great. I'd burn WAY more gas to get down there and back than just take my chances with the online stores.

I guess this is like paying dues. I never thought of it like that. That makes it a bit more bearable for me. Like pledging...damn I never want to do that again.

Yeah I'd say get some bulk on hand, I like to keep at least my base malt, some specialty grains, hops, and dry yeast on hand so if I get in the mood to brew I can do it without waiting to get supplies at the store.

before long you will look in the cupboard when you brew and find you have 2 or 3 of everything (or atleast a good substitute for what you need), and you will learn to use a beer glass to crush uncrushed grain (like a rolling pin), etc...

Good things come to those who wait!

It's just an extra day wait, and they resent your orders correct? So you should have double what you needed. So the little extra wait may have gotten you almost enough to make another brew.
:ban:

Back