Xbox 360 rant!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humer

Reaction score
Buy my first 360 at gamestop, only bought it there because they had a 1 year no questions asked replacement warranty from them. Seven months later I get the red ring of death. I go and get another 360 from gamestop. The next one lasts about a year. I call xbox and the rep tells me that it is 4 days past the warranty. Told me it would cost $100 and have to wait 3-6 weeks.

I am an avid gamer geek (never thought I would be) ever since I got my 360. I have made friends from all over the world because of it. WTF is up with xbox, do they make these things so poorly on purpose?. WTF,WTF

It's a given that almost 40% of all Xbox 360's produced are failures! I've had my original, 1st release Xbox 360 and no problems, knock knock on wood.

I had my first regular one go red ring style got it replaced and it worked fine, gave it to a buddy so I could buy an elite. The damn elite went out on me so I bought an arcade to use until I get my elite back. But for ****sake at lease make the elite a little better.

I had my launch console burn out on me a little over a year after I got it. This was before the extended warrenties were included for all of them, so it was something like $170 to fix. A week later, I got a brand new one and a day after they announced that they were adding on a free extended warranty, I got a refund check from Microsoft without even being asked. My new machine is still going strong, so I really don't have any complaints.

Buy my first 360 at gamestop, only bought it there because they had a 1 year no questions asked replacement warranty from them. Seven months later I get the red ring of death. I go and get another 360 from gamestop. The next one lasts about a year. I call xbox and the rep tells me that it is 4 days past the warranty. Told me it would cost $100 and have to wait 3-6 weeks.

Did it go red ring on you again? If so, there's no reason you shouldn't still be under warranty for that fix. Microsoft extended the warranty period for that particular issue to 3 years...and the Xbox 360 hasn't been out for 3 years yet. If it's some other issue I've got nothing for you.

My Xbox 360 gave me the red ring the day I came home with Rock Band 2. I fired it up to make sure the disc was okay, turned it off to eat lunch, and when I came back to turn it on again it was fried. Good news was that it only took 1.5 weeks to send it out and get a replacement.

Microsoft warranty for RRoD is for 2 years. Do not call Gamestop, call Microsoft. RRoD is an ongoing issue (many people are on their 4th and 5th 360) due to shoddy production practices and cheap components. Microsoft is aware there is an issue and has extended the warranty for this problem to 2 years. Call them, they will send you a box and either fix your machine or send you a new one.

Did it go red ring on you again? If so, there's no reason you shouldn't still be under warranty for that fix. Microsoft extended the warranty period for that particular issue to 3 years...and the Xbox 360 hasn't been out for 3 years yet. If it's some other issue I've got nothing for you.

My Xbox 360 gave me the red ring the day I came home with Rock Band 2. I fired it up to make sure the disc was okay, turned it off to eat lunch, and when I came back to turn it on again it was fried. Good news was that it only took 1.5 weeks to send it out and get a replacement.

I got error 74, has something to do with the graphics laser.

How long do you guys play? I can play for a couple of hours to 5 a day.

Consoles have never lasted too long for me, at least sony & Microsoft ones.

Been through:
2 PS1
3 ps2
3 xbox
2 xbox 360

Never had any of the old sega or nintendo systems break on me, all still running fine... even my atari still works great. The price wars really have ruined product quality.

I got error 74, has something to do with the graphics laser.

The warranty was extended ONLY for the red ring of death (3 out of the 4 secitons of the power button turn red). If it is any other problem then only the original factory warranty applies. Sorry, but it sounds like you are SOL.

You'd be amazed what new heat sink compound can do. 3 days out of warranty when mine first went (original first gen, before they extended the warranty). Took it apart, some new arctic silver, no problems since!

But if you're scrapping it I'll pay to ship it to me ;-)

I'm on my 3rd and I think they finally got the formula right, at least in mine.

How long do you guys play? I can play for a couple of hours to 5 a day.

Lately with being a full time student, med school admissions, and a 40 hour work week, there is no such thing as free time. If I do have the time and a game worth it I'll put in 4 or 5 hours, basically an afternoon.

What does everyone play? For me it's GTA, GOW, and rarely some Halo3. I wish more of my friends played online, I'm not such a big fan of the idiots that predominate.

What does everyone play?

I do gamefly and go through games pretty quick. My online game will surprise you. It is Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. Buddy of mine turned me on to this game. Its been out for a couple of years already but its still nasty to play. Couple of jerks take advantage of glitches but still awesome. Every time a new game comes out COD4, BFBC GTA, everybody is like see ya to BF2 but we all come back.

My gamer tag is xVODx ZYMURGY, but I think when I get my 360 back I will be changing it back to Alpha K1ng or some other 3 floyds beer.

I probably play <10 hours a week. Even less than that after I'm done with Rock Band 2; I love to drum! I play some Halo 3 and GTAIV, and I have several games waiting for me when I get to them (Overlord, Crackdown, Command & Conquer ).

Microsoft warranty for RRoD is for 2 years.

It's a moot point for the OP, but if anyone else has this issue, the warranty period for the RRoD is 3 years. According to Wikipedia (and numerous other sources):

Microsoft's extension of the warranty to three years only covers the "red ring of death" general hardware failure, not error E74 or other such errors featuring only one flashing red light on the ring piece indicator, or video errors not accompanied with the "red ring of death".

Ive been playing command and conquer and madden 2009 lately. Also Halo 3 from time to time. My gamer tag is AequitasSaint

The next one lasts about a year. I call xbox and the rep tells me that it is 4 days past the warranty. Told me it would cost $100 and have to wait 3-6 weeks.

The red ring of death shouldn't cost you a dime. Mine burned out months past the warranty and they replaced it for free. I used the online help vice calling. The three week down time isn't too bad. Hopefully, you will have a new 360 before Gears 2.

Back