Are plastic caps reusable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Boy®

Reaction score
If I buy a case of beer thats sold in those plastic bottles, can I reuse the caps? If so, how many times?

They sell beer in plastic bottles? Where's that?

All caps are reusable. The problem is the rubber liner that does the actual sealing...they get compressed and may not seal.

Why waste your brew on something that may not work? ;)

I just reread the post. You're talking about bottles that already have the beer in it right? I assume they're the same as the empty PET bottles that my LHBS sells, in that case, they should be reusable.

I just took a look at some plastic caps. Some of them do not have a rubber gasket in them and are just plastic shaped like a "U".

By their design, those should be good almost indefinitely. ;)

Go for it!! :rockin:

Professor Frink said:
I just reread the post. You're talking about bottles that already have the beer in it right? I assume they're the same as the empty PET bottles that my LHBS sells, in that case, they should be reusable.

Yes, I'm talking about the Coors/Bud 16oz plastic bottles...they seem cheap enough, the only problem is, what do I do with the contents?

I love the PET bottles that came with my mr beer kit. IMHO they are a great serving vessel for apfelwein since after you drink the amount in one of those bottles you are pretty druck!

I haven't been doing it long but 3 batches so far and the lids are fine. I suspect there will be a time when they cant hold too high a pressure but I think it will be gradual if you notice a batch is less fizzy than the batch before get new lids.

Alternatively the trick I use for plastic milk bottles may work, cover the top in cling film before you put the lids on.

Back