Hot dogs- best toppings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
I usually like a nice chili dog, but eat them in a variety of ways. ketchup and sauerkraut on the bun, mustard and peanut butter, or mustard ketchup mayonnaise and cheese and potato chips.
I know I'm not the only one that eats them and the ones with sauerkraut go good with beer

being from NY originally i love me a good kraut dog but the Chicago dog is my favorite.

Chicago Style.

Yellow mustard
Raw white onion
Relish
Tomato slices
Cucumber slices
Pickle spear
Sport peppers
Celery salt
No ketchup allowed!!!

Now I'm friggin hungry.

Mustard and onion, or... chili, cheese, and onion.

Those are really the only two ways that I like to eat a hot dog.

Disclaimer: Not saying anything negative about the way anyone else chooses to eat a hot dog. Not saying that my preferences are the only way a person should eat a hotdog... just saying that these are the only 2 ways that I really like to eat a hot dog.

I usually prefer some sort of sausage dog, but either way

Grilled onions. Red or white
Mustard
Relish
Chili or hotdog sauce if it's no beans. ;)
Cheese, usually cheddar

Sometimes sweet peppers, mayo, tomato and even ketchup.

My favorite is Chicago style but a local brew pub has a bacon wrapped, beer battered, deep fried dog smothered in their homemade chili that's delicious too.

West by God Hillbilly Style

Chili (All Meat) a.k.a. Sauce (regional)
Yellow Slaw
Yellow Mustard
Onions

http://wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com/p/wvhotdogscom-faq.html

The counties that do not serve slaw are possibly going to be expelled from the state. Here is a map of the counties where slaw is served: http://wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com/p/while-vast-majority-of-west-virginians.html

The pepperoni roll is causing a huge rift in WV with possible succession of the southern part of the state forming its own state know as South West Virginia were the hot dog is king.

Chicago style with extra Sport Peppers. The extra ones get picked off and eaten separately.

The relish should also be the traditional "Chicago dog" neon green color.

A little diced onions and good mustard. NOTHING ELSE!

Added" OH! I forgot about BACON BACON, BACON!!!! and sometimes cheese. But I don't care for things like chili dogs.

I also like a good dog with nothing at all, not even a bun.

Chicago Style.

Yellow mustard
Raw white onion
Relish
Tomato slices
Cucumber slices
Pickle spear
Sport peppers
Celery salt
No ketchup allowed!!!

Now I'm friggin hungry.

Yes, that is it!! The relish should be neon green (food coloring) Don't forget the steamed poppy seed bun.
To order you say: "gimme 3 dogs, drag'em through the garden"
Once the guy in front of me asked for ketchup, I punched him in the face, everyone clapped.

AZ_IPA said:
Sonoran style.

Though Chicago style is great, too.

This.

Quadrupled said:
I had to look up what the Sonoran style is, and that sounds fantastic!

Is jalapeño sauce or relish preferred, and what kind of beans too?

Jalapeño sauce, never relish. Usually just blended fresh jalapeños, a little onion, and a little lime juice. For the beans most places use pintos cooked with lots of garlic. And FWIW most web sources in English mistakenly list mayo as being on a Sonoran dog, but every roadside stand I've been to uses crema Mexicana, which is more like sour cream than mayo.

And FWIW most web sources in English mistakenly list mayo as being on a Sonoran dog, but every roadside stand I've been to uses crema Mexicana, which is more like sour cream than mayo.

Awesome.

One of my favorite tweaks to traditional corn on the cob is to make the Mexican version using crema mexicana.

I've got to try making the Sonoran version at home.

Quadrupled said:
Awesome.

One of my favorite tweaks to traditional corn on the cob is to make the Mexican version using crema mexicana.

I've got to try making the Sonoran version at home.

Mmmmmm, elote. Fire grilled in the husk, lightly coated in crema Mexicana, rolled in finely crumbled queso cotija, and then sprinkled with chile de arbol or cayenne. That's gotta be one of the best snacks from a roadside food stand ever.

Back