Cream ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cream Ale Recipe

My questions:
1) What kind of brew is this? I see malt and extract.
2) What size? I assume atleast 6 gallon because of the 6.6lbs of gold malt extract.
3) In notes I'm having trouble understanding the following terms:
-Steep
-Completely blended
-Hop Charge
-Normal Finish

Its a cream ale :) ...cream ale is a basic ale that is similiar in style to the bud, coors, miller but it is an ale not a lager...good beer to introduce non craft beer drinkers too

It's probably a 5 gallon batch

Steep is like when you make tea with a tea bag....you are just soaking the grains at a certain temp

Completely blended is just blending in the extract with the liquid you steeped the grains with

Hop charge first time hearing that term but it just means add hops

Normal finish = primary fermentation

FYI this post is probably better in the beginners section or recipe not equipment

Hope that helps

Cream Ale Recipe

My questions:
1) What kind of brew is this? I see malt and extract.
2) What size? I assume atleast 6 gallon because of the 6.6lbs of gold malt extract.
3) In notes I'm having trouble understanding the following terms:
-Steep
-Completely blended
-Hop Charge
-Normal Finish

I think the prior post answered most of the questions you had.

I too am a newbie brewer...and I just brewed this as my first beer this past weekend...but I used a beer kit from Midwest Supplies.

The Crystal Mal and Carapils are grain....this is what gets steeped in the 155 degree water.

The extract gets boiled and I would guess this is a 5 gallon batch as my kit had 6 or 6.5 lbs of Gold Malt Extract. I add half at 60 minutes (beginning of the boil) and then the other half at 10 minutes (10 minutes lefts on the 60 minutes boil time) in order to prevent the malts from darkening during the boil.

A cream ale will often have some American adjuncts (corn or rice), and as mentioned taste like a slightly more flavorful version of a standard American macro lager.

It should not finish too sweet (lactose) or have vanilla in it. If that's what you want, go for it, but if you want a real cream ale, I'd look somewhere else.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cream-ale-extract-kit.html

Well, I'm new so im just trying new things. I'm trying to get into all grain too. Slowly but surely. Buddies dad is doing all grain and said he'll teach me. So when I convert from beer in a bag to all grain i won't be staring at the new setup with a confused look on my face.

Back