Hop types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
Is there a list of different types of hop and what you can expect from each?
A list of the characteristics of each would be great for people wanting to create there own recipes. Say if you want a orange note what type of hop gives this. So on and so on. Also what hops do when you add them at different times of the boil...

Also, a user here, sweetcell, compiled a very useful resource about hops. It's in the Prosted threads section and in his signature. It was originally (I believe) intended as a resource for hops growing, however it also provides useful substitution options, typical uses, and characteristics of different varieties.

Where can you find info on what to expect from how long hops are in the boil? Does the boil time only effect how much flavor is extracted from the hop or does time actually change the effect the hop has? What makes a hop good for long boils/aroma. Does the lenght of time in boil change the hop oils chemically?? Does different boil times change say a citricy to bitter, so on..

Where can you find info on what to expect from how long hops are in the boil? Does the boil time only effect how much flavor is extracted from the hop or does time actually change the effect the hop has? What makes a hop good for long boils/aroma. Does the lenght of time in boil change the hop oils chemically?? Does different boil times change say a citricy to bitter, so on..

Boiling time does change the effect of the hops. I'm not sure where you can get precise info and/or scientific chemical descriptions, but the basic idea (as I understand it) is as follows.
Boiling for 5 min or less will add aroma and little to no flavor or bitterness.
Boiling for 15 min or so will add more flavor than aroma or bitterness.
Boiling for 60 min will pretty much just add bitterness.

Back