Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkman1989

Reaction score
Hey has anyone experimented with force carbonation? There is a pop bottle attachment which will transfer Co2 from a vinegar- baking soda mix. It looks like fun in the video.

Most of us who force carbonate use an external co2 tank that pushes the co2 to the liquid (soda, beer) and we can adjust how much we want going to the target.

Some of the problems with vinegar/water is the accidental transfer of vinegar (not entirely a bad thing, if you look at shrubs, usually a fruit saturated sweet vinegar which is mixed with carbonated water)
But most importantly, trying to figure the amount of vinegar and water to generate the desired amount of co2. Remember that you would wind up with two containers of equalized pressure in that case unless you used a regulator.

Though it would be good for a science experiment in middle school-college to explain chemistry and reaction stoichiometry problems.

the accidental transfer of vinegar

I wouldn't so much call it "accidental" as "inevitable". A reaction like this will aerosolize a significant quantity of the vinegar as it pushes into the beer. Remember how smelly the room was after all those 4th grade volcanos went off?

Interesting about these "shrub" drinks, though. I'd never heard of them before looking them up now.

True, I was trying to recall how much would vaporize actually transfer through a small device, gave up and just said accidental. And I definitely wouldn't want it near beer and I was going to say not in sodas until I remembered about shrubs, hadn't heard of them till last year from imbibe magazine as well as serious eats

I think I've seen this little device on ThinkGeek. It looks like a fun and interesting concept but I don't think it would be very cost effective.

Edit: I assume this is what you are talking about.

Back