Kegerator Temperature Different from Beer Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroLozen

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have learned a lot of information here. I recently bought a Haier Kegerator. I am happy with it. How ever I do have a few questions.

I have a cup of water in it with a digital thermometer, which stays right around 35 degrees. Even after I pour 2 pints of beer and take the temperature of the beer it reads at about 42 degrees.

I have read about how adding a fan with hose to pump cold air into the tower, to chill that area. But even after 2 consecutive pours, shouldn't the temperature of the beer be closer to my kergerator temperature?

The keg has been in there for over 5 days, and have a good seal around the door. So I am not concerned about warm air entering the kegerator.

Am I missing something here? Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

My first thought, the cup of water may be in the direct line of the cold air blowing in and may cool faster and further than the kegs. I have a full size fringe and set a bowl of liquid on the top of my kegs to store over night. My fridge in about 36ish aand the bowl was frozen. The intake from the freezer blew directly on it.

You could also install a little fan in the kegerator to circulate the cold air, that will allow you your temp gauge to measure a more uniform temp for the kegerator.
-Jefe-

That is very true. Thank you...I will have to get a few modifications going here. All cold air does sink to bottom, so it probably is a little warmer at the top.

Fans are almost required equipment in all kegerators, IMHO.

One thing to get a more accurate representation of your keg (beer) temp is to tape your sensor to the keg itself, covered with a patch of insulation.

If using that sensor to control temps, however, I'd set your hysteresis (difference between on and off temps) as small as possible. This is because a full keg will take a long time to change temperature, while air or a small glass of water will change temps more rapidly. Those require more hysteresis in order to avoid short cycling the compressor.

--Rich

Back