Infrared Heat Gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used one in brewing, but I would think that just getting a surface temp in the mash wouldn't be that valuable. That's all you can get with one of those.

We used them all the time in our shop. They are expensive but work great. The only problem is you would only get the surface temperature. They wont get the temp from the middle of bottom of the mash?

I use one all the time. Not useful if there are vapors (i.e., boil). But they work fine for reading mash temps, etc. You'll find a million uses for it, and will probably walk around pointing it at everything for a while. (hint: cats love to chase the laser pointer).

Won't replace a normal thermometer, though, like all the posts above are saying.

I use one all the time. Not useful if there are vapors (i.e., boil). But they work fine for reading mash temps, etc. You'll find a million uses for it, and will probably walk around pointing it at everything for a while. (hint: cats love to change the laser pointer).

Won't replace a normal thermometer, though, like all the posts above are saying.

+1

It does NOT replace a brewing thermometer but it's pretty fun.

Buy one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

you can even drop it in a keggle full of wort and it will still work after.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're also not incredibly accurate. The ones that you'd find within a decent price range are something like ±4F. That's a pretty big variance in mash temp.

Back