No fermentation activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillWilliam

Reaction score
Pitched my yeast Sunday at about 6:00 P.M. and now, 24 hours later, there is no activity what so ever. I made a starter 18 hours in advance but didn't notice any activity but I had the stir set such that the starter wort was continually whirlpooling. (I also noticed, after making the starter, that the best before date was May of last year! Guess I should have checked that before I bought it at the HBS.)

I am using the European Ale strain and have read online that it is a bit of a slow starter but I am wondering if I should buy some new yeast tomorrow and re-pitch.

Thoughts?

I'm not too worried about infection as I purged the carboys of O2 using CO2.

Thanks in advance.

As the sticky in the fermentation forum says: it can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs of fermentation.

Wait a couple more days.

You didnt notice any activity in the starter? even with the stirrer running you'll see a huge change in color from the suspended yeast if theyve multiplied properly. i thought ive read old yeast take longer to multiply. like a few days even.

Bought new yeast today and made a new starter and will re-pitch in the morning. Still no signs of fermentation.

Back