"A Chance to Chill" Summer Lemon Wheat Ale (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
This is version 2.0 of this recipe, and I think it came out damn tasty if I do say so myself. The lemon is not subtle, but it's not overly pronounced either (though if you hate fruit beers, steer clear of course). Every time you have one, you have A Chance to Chill.

Note that this is a 6.5 gallon recipe, so scale down accordingly:

A Chance To Chill

4.0 oz Honey Malt (steeped 30 min at ~155F)
3 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (60 min)
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (60 min)
1.5 lbs Honey (60 min)
1.5 oz Hallertauer hops (6.2%) (60 min)
1/2 tsp Irish moss (optional) (10 min)
0.5 oz Hallertaur hops (6.2%) (10 min)
Zest of three lemons, soaking in the juice of one of them to keep it moist (5 min)
2 pkgs US-05 American Ale dry yeast

Est OG 1.052
Est FG 1.011

I think I might have done late extract addition on this one too, but I can't remember for sure. My notes don't say so, so maybe not. I ended up not having time to bottle this, so it was in the primary for like 9 weeks -- and it's so freakin' clear!

I made one just a while back.

6 lb wheat malt extract
1 lb honey
2 oz hallteu hops
6 fresh lemons
1 orange
Nuttgram yest

It tasted really good after I fixed the over carbonation. It had a strong lemon taste to it. Just what I wanted next time I plan to let it frement more and also use less wheat and a lighter malt with it.

Similar idea, though you went crazy with the lemon! heh, actually my first batch was closer to that, some people really liked it, but I found it a little too tart.

My first batch also used a lot more wheat extract like yours, but I wanted a little lighter color, which is why I scaled up the extra light extract in favor of the wheat. I think my wife liked the darker color a little better, though, so to each his (or her) own! In any case, great stuff :) Maybe I'll try adding an orange next time like you did, that sounds tasty.

Just thought I'd mention to let the lemons sit the secondary a few days past a week. Because mine over carbonated and didn't realize it until I went to open one bottle.

Back