Late hop addition recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Big brew-day tomorrow.

At the last minute, I've decided to try adding most of the hops in the last 10 minutes of the boil. (I'm after hop aroma)
I've got pound bags of the following hops:

Bravo
Cluster
Columbus
Galena

Which one(s) (and how much) would you pick? (For 20 gal of a Bass Ale clone with the depth of aroma of SweetWater IPA. Yeah, I know, aiming high)

I'm thinking 4 oz Columbus at the start of the boil and then 4 oz of each after 50 min.

Cheers!

Big brew-day tomorrow.

At the last minute, I've decided to try adding most of the hops in the last 10 minutes of the boil. (I'm after hop aroma)
I've got pound bags of the following hops:

Bravo
Cluster
Columbus
Galena

Which one(s) (and how much) would you pick? (For 20 gal of a Bass Ale clone with the aroma of SweetWater IPA. Yeah, I know, aiming high)

I'm thinking 4 oz Columbus at the start of the boil and then 4 oz of each after 50 min.

Cheers!

I'm not a huge fan of ANY of those hops for aroma/flavor. Columbus is pretty harsh, and galena can be also. Cluster doesn't have much flavor, but makes a great bittering hop. Bravo is high AAU, but tastes similar to columbus.

My answer would be "none of the above". If you can come up with some cascade, amarillo, centennial, willamette, etc, then those would be preferable.

Yooper,

Thanks for the honest reply.

I do have about 4 oz of Cascade.

Given that, can you make a recommendation on hop schedule, trying to make the best of a bad job, given what I've got.

Wait, I do have 7 oz Amarillo pellets and 1 oz of Simcoe pellets (got these pellets for dry hopping)

I'm at your mercy.

Cheers!
(Man, if you don't like any of those leaf hops for aroma there is going to be some funky beers coming on down the line in my household. Ha!)

hmm mind sharing what you make?
Orare you making hop tea?

ok read a bit more but still not sure what bass ale is. Does it go well with pike?

Bass Ale clone? BA clone I've seen uses Northern Brewer, so with that in mind I'd go with Columbus to finish. Columbus is used as the dry hop in Denny's Rye IPA, which is excellent.

Simcoe and Amarillo always go really well together.
Yeah, I think I'll save them for dry hopping.

hmm mind sharing what you make?
...still not sure what bass ale is. Does it go well with pike?
Bass ale is famous in the UK - it is fantastic.

I'm talking about the draught variety. The stuff we get in bottles over here in the US is crap. I'm sure it goes very well with pike. Ha!

Bass Ale clone? BA clone I've seen uses Northern Brewer, so with that in mind I'd go with Columbus to finish. Columbus is used as the dry hop in Denny's Rye IPA, which is excellent.
Thanks for the input - I've taken your advice.

Cheers!

I did an imperial red with 1oz northern brewer at 60 and 4 oz CTZ at 15. In a 5gal batch, and I got great compliments on the aroma and hop flavor.

BA,

Thanks for the reply - I need to get this nomenclature down - you had a 60 min boil and added 1 oz of NB at the end?

Yeah, I have no problem with the flavor - it is this elusive aroma I'm missing.

I usually turn the heat off and continue the next day (sort of a "no-chill" but leaving the wort in the sealed kettle). I've since learned this could be a major problem wrt hop aroma loss so I re-visited using my home-made 50' by 1/2" immersion chiller but this time in series with a wimpy LHBS IC in a bucket of ice. This worked quite well and I got the wort down to 69F. Hopefully the aroma for this batch will be much improved.

Cheers!

This is a perfect opportunity to pull out some Ray Daniels. Bass Ale actually uses Goldings and Fuggle. I know this doesn't help with what you have on hand, but is good to know if you're going for an authentic clone. Cascade is a great all around hop, so if you have that on hand I'd go with that for the later additions.

Does Ray Daniels say anything about Demerara sugar, by the way?
Kind of a sacrilege if you are an all grain brewer but one reviewer thought he could taste it.
Cheers!

Does Ray Daniels say anything about Demerara sugar, by the way?
Kind of a sacrilege if you are an all grain brewer but one reviewer thought he could taste it.
Cheers!

Actuallllly, Daniels does say that sugar is used in 30-60% of English Pale Ale's, but he says that the Burton brewers use maltose syrup, which doesn't produce ciderlike flavor. The water characteristics also supposedly add to a lot of what makes these brews taste so damn good.

This is all if you REALLY want to get a realistic clone of true Bass. I can't act like I know this from experiences, I just have the book haha.

...I can't act like I know this from experiences, I just have the book haha...

Good one!

By the way, that's a funny number to put out, 30 - 60%
I mean, you wouldn't say 30 - 60% of people preferred Coke over Pepsi.
Do you think he meant as a % of the grain bill?

I hear you on the water salts - Bass had a rep when I was over there of unpleasant social consequences the next day because of all the MgS04. Imagine drinking 8 pints of Epsom Salts before you go to bed.

Cheers!

BA,

Thanks for the reply - I need to get this nomenclature down - you had a 60 min boil and added 1 oz of NB at the end?

Yeah, I have no problem with the flavor - it is this elusive aroma I'm missing.

I usually turn the heat off and continue the next day (sort of a "no-chill" but leaving the wort in the sealed kettle). I've since learned this could be a major problem wrt hop aroma loss so I re-visited using my home-made 50' by 1/2" immersion chiller but this time in series with a wimpy LHBS IC in a bucket of ice. This worked quite well and I got the wort down to 69F. Hopefully the aroma for this batch will be much improved.

Cheers!
I added the NB at the first sign of boil, and boiled them for 60 minutes, then added the Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus/whatever name you choose at with 15 minutes remaining in the boil

and for the record, the resulting beer was nowhere near a bass ale clone. It was about an 8% abv recipe, with hop flavor that would make a bass taste like BudLight.

BA,
Thanks for the clarification.
How was the aroma and did you chill immediately?
Thanks.

Yeah I typically drop my chiller in at 10 minutes left in the boil then hook it up and run it till my keggle is cool to the touch, transfer to primary, then pitch my yeast once my ferm-ometer (stick on thermometer on my primaries) reads in the 70s and pitch my yeast then.

I'm actually planning on repeating that brew in a couple weeks. It was great!

Good one!

By the way, that's a funny number to put out, 30 - 60%
I mean, you wouldn't say 30 - 60% of people preferred Coke over Pepsi.
Do you think he meant as a % of the grain bill?

I just hate when people act like they know things when they're just BSin

He uses tables to describe the instances used. There is 0-30%, 30-60%, 60-90%, or "nearly all"

Back