Left over ingredients, beer suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlivings

Reaction score
Here's whats in the cupboard:
.5lbs chocolate malt
.5lbs tf+s crystal
.5lbs black patent
.5lbs lactose
1 lbs wheat
3lbs german pale wheat

1 pack nbottingham
1 pack windsor
1 pack munich
2 packs bayanbus strain cider yeast
50 grams curacao orange peel

What can I do with that? I'll have to go to the LHBS to get base malt etc but I'd like to use up some of this stuff. First thing comes to mind is a porter, but Ive got a mocha stout already made and I'd like to make use of that orange peel. Maybe a belgian wit?

Any suggestions welcome and if Ive posted this in the wrong place, let me know.
Thanks,
Tom.

lactose, chocolate, black patent, wheat....

I know you mentioned a wit but if the goal is to use up what you have sweet stout might use up more stuff. Although with 3lbs of German wheat...

I know you mentioned a wit but if the goal is to use up what you have sweet stout might use up more stuff.

Maybe a Creamy Winter Porter with that lactose, chocolate male and black patent? Use a pound of that wheat for head rentention. Otherwise pick up 8 pounds of US 2 row to use as a base, maybe 1 pound more chocolate malt. Throw in that packet of Nottingham and it shouldn't be too bad for a scraps brew.

I'll play....
Cold steep the black, add some MO or other base malt, mash @ 156+/-, and ferment warm with the Windsor.
Chocolate banana sweet stout.

Here's whats in the cupboard:
.5lbs chocolate malt
.5lbs tf+s crystal
.5lbs black patent
.5lbs lactose
1 lbs wheat
3lbs german pale wheat

1 pack nbottingham
1 pack windsor
1 pack munich
2 packs bayanbus strain cider yeast
50 grams curacao orange peel

What can I do with that? I'll have to go to the LHBS to get base malt etc but I'd like to use up some of this stuff. First thing comes to mind is a porter, but Ive got a mocha stout already made and I'd like to make use of that orange peel. Maybe a belgian wit?

Any suggestions welcome and if Ive posted this in the wrong place, let me know.
Thanks,
Tom.

I'd be tempted to use all 4#s of wheat, buy 4#s of base malt & use all the chocolate & crystal malt along with windsor yeast for an interesting brown ale. Like you said, first thing that popped in my mind also was doing a brown porter using the above and perhaps 4 oz of the black patent. You could make it hoppy or malty depending on mash temps and hop usage.

Schlante & Good Luck,
Phillip

I know you mentioned a wit but if the goal is to use up what you have sweet stout might use up more stuff.

What neovox just said...I had a bunch of stuff left over (similar to you)...tossed it into BeerSmith and made possibly the best sweet stout I've ever made! ;)

Latest posts

Back