Need help on gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I've read about 100 diff. times to put in the gelatin finings. I've read in the seconday as soon as you rack it, I've heard right before you bottle it. My gelatin bottles tells me to dissole it in water, and than boil, which yields best results?

This is what I do:

boil 100ml (3oz) of water and let cool.
Add 1tsp of gelatin
Let bloom and then heat water until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Do not let it boil.
Add to secondary/keg and wait about a week before you rack. If you plan to bottle condition you may have to add fresh yeast though.

Kai

I have not tried gelatin yet but from what I understand the main thing is not to boil it.

Kaiser said:
This is what I do:

boil 100ml (3oz) of water and let cool.
Add 1tsp of gelatin
Let bloom and then heat water until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Do not let it boil.
Add to secondary/keg and wait about a week before you rack. If you plan to bottle condition you may have to add fresh yeast though.

Kai

My procedure exactly.

well i can't resist, my delima here. I made a batch and the O.G. was 1.038 when she went into to the primary. When i racked to the secondary I did Kai's above mentioned technique. After two weeks in primary I am still sitting @ 1.020. Albiet , it is chilly in the basement, I moved the carbouy next to the furnace and water tank to warm up. I'm really unsure of what to do. Should I just go ahead and pitch another starter(don't really want too) or should I just warm her up alot for a while.

I am concerned that the gellatin really tied me up. When i racked i knew that it was 1.020 and i probably should not have racked until it was much lower(especially with the adding of gellatin right @ racking to secondary). Some guys say not to use gellatin until a later stage in the secondary.

So when I did another test today, I ran the sample under hot tap water for a while and it measured @ 1.016. As it stands, I have a starter in the fridge of the same everything in my secondary(yeast and DME). But I really don't want to go there. I think that I am leaning towards just letting it warm up for a while and then bottling.

Jason Halter said:
So when I did another test today, I ran the sample under hot tap water for a while and it measured @ 1.016. As it stands, I have a starter in the fridge of the same everything in my secondary(yeast and DME). But I really don't want to go there. I think that I am leaning towards just letting it warm up for a while and then bottling.

I'm afraid that you dropped out almost all the yeast and if you want to get it any lower you should add the starter. You will need some yeast for priming anyway unless you force-carbonate.

I'm actually doing the same thing to my Maerzen and Doppelbock. I already had the Maerzen at lagering temp for a few weeks. I noticed that the gravity wasn't dropping anynore though there were still fermentable sugars left in the wort. Since I was still 0.2 *P away from my target, I decided to add a about 300ml of Kraeusen and warm it up. Now I'm waiting to hit my target and then I'll crash it into lagering. In the Doppelbock the yeast may have given up since it was still sitting at 50F and not droping anymore while still almost 1 *P away from the FG target.

Kai

Latest posts

Back