platic or wood cases?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
I use these from Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_167620-84240-CR0099_0__?productId=3110939&Ntt=crate&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FVa%3Dtrue%26Ntt%3Dcrate

I can get a case of stubbies (Sierra Nevada) or a few more than a case of longnecks in one of these. They measure approx. 12 x 15 inches by 10 inches high and are stackable. Because the bottom is an open grid, you'll need to make a solid bottom if you want the bottles to stand upright - I had a couple of large Plexiglas sheets lying around left over from another project and cut that up to make the bottoms - makes cleanup real easy. For a less expensive solution, you could use 1/4 inch plywood, hardboard, or whatever.

EDIT: After looking at the picture and price a little more, I don't think these are the ones I have. Mine look just like that except with an open grid bottom, but were more like $5 each. My receipt says they are item # 167618 (large file crate), not the 167620 (small file crate) in the picture. Lowe's web site can't find 167618 - I wonder if they have been discontinued?

While leaving the gym, the guy who stocks the water/sports drink machine was unloading his truck. I noticed he had some empty cardboard boxes from one of the drinks, and asked if I could have a few if he was going to throw them away. He asked me what I was using them for, then proceeded to give me 3 plastic trays used for bottle shipping. There aren't individual slots for bottles, but, the sides are high enough to keep them from falling over if it's full of bottles. I'm able to stack all 3, and can fit at least 30 bottles in each.

So, if you see a beverage delivery truck making their rounds, say hello and see if you can't score a few trays :eek: I think they sell the same trays at a restaurant supply warehouse, if there is one near you.

Target has plastic crates that'll hold 1 case of 12 oz bottles and are stackable. $2.97 and come in a variety of fashionable colors...I get mine in black :)

Back