This guy needs a homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
Or a new SWMBO....

06' Suzuki GSXR 1000 $10,000
Farmington , UT 84025

This bike is perfect! It has 1000 miles and
has had its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive)
It's been adult ridden, all wheels have always been
on the ground. I use it as a cruiser/commuter.
I'm selling it because it was purchased without
proper consent of a loving wife. Apparently
"do whatever the f*** you want"
doesn't mean what I thought.
Call me, Steve. (801)867-

Lol - that's priceless. BTW - SWMBO (and my mom for that matter) would be PISSED if I bought a bike

I like bikes, but I couldn't have one here. If I was out in Chimone or your part of the country Yuri I probably would. but just for long distance riding where I can friggin see what's in front of and behind me. Too many idiots on the road in the urban areas. :(

That being said we DO have our share of bikes around here. :mug:

Ize

The plan is still for me to buy Chillhaze's bike from him in the spring. Nice Honda Rebel as a starter. SWMBO isn't terribly happy about that, but she's agreed to it upon some basic conditions (always wearing proper gear, taking a class, etc.)

Oh, and Yuri - your SWMBO is now competing with Cheesefood's (honey, why don't you start kegging? Please? here, use our fridge as a kegerator, we'll buy another) for SWMBO-Of-The-Year.

Any other nominations?

My wife is also a keeper! I have two bikes, A Yamaha royal star tour deluxe that we tour around on and a Harley sportster just for me. I think I'll keep her.

Oh, by the way, THE BIRD, Taking a state or private riders course like you mentioned is HIGHLY RECONDMENDED! They teach you valuable skills. Just might save your life.

Absolutely. My brother took one (part of his "requirements" to start riding again), and was surprised at how much he learned. It's something I would do anyway.

A couple states out here you have to take an approved course to get a motorcycle license ... but not a driver's license!

Many riding schools offer advanced courses for people who like to push it on the twisties.

Rainy season has started (8 inches in a week), so no more riding for a while. Generally, we get some clear, dry weather in February.

the_bird said:
The plan is still for me to buy Chillhaze's bike from him in the spring. Nice Honda Rebel as a starter. SWMBO isn't terribly happy about that, but she's agreed to it upon some basic conditions (always wearing proper gear, taking a class, etc.)

Oh, and Yuri - your SWMBO is now competing with Cheesefood's (honey, why don't you start kegging? Please? here, use our fridge as a kegerator, we'll buy another) for SWMBO-Of-The-Year.

Any other nominations?

Is that going to be your first bike bird? Or did you have one before? I've always admired bikes, but like I said, I just don't trust other people on the road. I had an Uncle, and a good friend killed by other idiots on the road. So that has a lot to do with it. I'm more of a boat guy anyway. :)

Oh and FWIW, my SWMBO will NOT be entered in the competition. :cross:

(this message will self-edit in 4 hours.... ;) )

Ize

If I go ahead and buy it, it'll be my first real bike. I used to ride minibikes and the like when I was a kid, but obviously that's a completely different beast. All I really want to do is be able to cruise around the back roads (there are tons and tons and TONS of gorgeous, winding mountain roads around here), not do anything long-distance or on the highway (avoiding the highway is another of the rules).

Nothing's set in stone, if SWMBO gets preggo or anything in the next few months, all bets are off. Something I'd love to get into, though.

Then I'll go and be a post whore at beginnerbiketalk.com or wherever the bike forum is... :D

the_bird said:
Nothing's set in stone, if SWMBO gets preggo or anything in the next few months, all bets are off. Something I'd love to get into, though.

LOL, I know that tale. Yeah I'm a boat guy lacking the freaking BOAT. I do however have a 10 year old, a soon to be 3 year old, (HA! IF he's lucky. :D ) and a SWMBO that til recently had career issues. I mean seriously, is all that I'm making money for is to pay BILLS??? :drunk: :D

Ize

rdwj said:
Lol - that's priceless. BTW - SWMBO (and my mom for that matter) would be PISSED if I bought a bike

First: tell me your SWMBO is NOT your mom... please (kidding...;) )

Second, I solved this problem by buying my bike before I'd met my SWMBO-to-be. I figured: "I've just graduated college, will probably be getting married soon. Better get the bike before I meet the special Lady"

As it turned out, meeting the special lady and getting the bike were linked. Four months later, I used the one to help break the news about the other. "Hey mom, I've got something to tell you: I bought a motorcycle... and I'm getting married." Went much smoother than I'd expected.

Focus said:
As it turned out, meeting the special lady and getting the bike were linked. Four months later, I used the one to help break the news about the other. "Hey mom, I've got something to tell you: I bought a motorcycle... and I'm getting married." Went much smoother than I'd expected.

LOL Slick. :rockin: :D

Ize

the_bird said:
If I go ahead and buy it, it'll be my first real bike.
I'd hardly call a Honda Rebel a "real bike," and I ride a Honda... That said, most of my friends laugh at me when I recommend that bike as an excellent one to start out with on the street. Then I laugh back when they dump their $20,000 chromed out Harley cruiser for the first time.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'd hardly call a Honda Rebel a "real bike," and I ride a Honda... That said, most of my friends laugh at me when I recommend that bike as an excellent one to start out with on the street. Then I laugh back when they dump their $20,000 chromed out Harley cruiser for the first time.

Well, yeah. I was planning on a $500 Nighthawk under the assumption that I *was* going to dump it once or twice before all was said and done. From everything that I have read, the Rebel (and the Hawk) sound like great starter bikes (I think Chillhaze is graduating to something bigger). Personally, I love the styling of the Rebel for an entry level bike; I mean, of course it's not a Harley, but it does a good job of PRETENTING to be a real bike.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is that it sounds like the Hondas are designed for people a little less lanky than me; I'll have to see when I get on it.

the_bird said:
The only thing I'm a little worried about is that it sounds like the Hondas are designed for people a little less lanky than me; I'll have to see when I get on it.

I'm 6'2" and I have ridden it for over 4 hours at a time w/o stopping. I wouldn't go cross country or anything, but it is comfortable and relaxing.

People with $20,000 chromed out Harleys are the ones whose bikes I would not call "Real". That's not really the spirit, that's just saying "Look at me, I spent lots o' money on a flashy bike b/c my **** is the size of a Vienna sausage"!

I have noticed that other riders are happy for me on the Rebel, it's the guys driving kias and hyuandais cars that give me crap for it. At least I am riding...just cagers being cagers...

No offense intended to any homebrewers, of course. :mug:

the_bird said:
Don't know about the rest of the Hondas (I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic) but I rode a Rebel once and felt like I was riding a tricycle with my knees up by my ears.:p And I'm only 5'8"....

the_bird said:

Yeah, but I want a bike and she keeps giving me the "Fine, get one. Just make sure your life insurance is paid up, and don't ever expect me or Miles to get on it" answer. So in otherwords, NO. Stupid SWMBO double-speak.

chillHayze said:
I'm 6'2" and I have ridden it for over 4 hours at a time w/o stopping. I wouldn't go cross country or anything, but it is comfortable and relaxing.

People with $20,000 chromed out Harleys are the ones whose bikes I would not call "Real". That's not really the spirit, that's just saying "Look at me, I spent lots o' money on a flashy bike b/c my **** is the size of a Vienna sausage"!

I have noticed that other riders are happy for me on the Rebel, it's the guys driving kias and hyuandais cars that give me crap for it. At least I am riding...just cagers being cagers...

No offense intended to any homebrewers, of course. :mug:

I think I would call this REAL:

flhrpi.jpg

And it has 67,000 "REAL" miles on it with quite a few of them on two week or more trips to places like Sturgis, Rocky Mountains and the Texas Hill Country!!!

Ok, ok lets all get along! I just get roused up when someone disses the Reb and I've had 3 cups of coffee in succession.

That is a nice bike and I'm glad you enjoy it! Much more tasteful than what I was referring to with the 'real' comment.

Yuri_Rage said:

So what do you ride?

Back