New online recipe site

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
All,

Ive just got my recipe/brewstash site Ive been working on and off for a few months now.

Im still new to homebrewing, so Id love some feedback as to ingreidents youd like to see availble, beer styles etc etc. Anything at all youd like to see feel free to email me and Ill try and add it if it makes sense :)

I hope its as useful to you as it is to me :mug:

http://hbi.byethost33.com/

-=gp125racer=-

Whoops :) Thanks for the heads up.

The recipes are working just fine, but the brew stash was broken ;)

Give it a try again when you get some free time.

Oh yeah the user_profile stuffz is working again too :)

-=gp125racer=-

I haven't enetered anything yet but it this feature jumps out.

There should be an easy way to copy an existing recipe to a new record.

Looks like a great idea, and a noble cause. :)

Not to nitpick, but you spell'd beers "bears" in your bottom paragraph under "future plans for this space-". Not a dig - just a friendly correction from a fellow spelling offender!! :D

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your site.....should be interesting.

Copy a recipe, thats a great idea! Let me think about how I can best implemnt that.

Spelling isnt my strong point, I talk to computers all day :) FWIW, Ive corrected the silly typo on the homepage :) Thanks for pointing it out.

-=gp125racer=-

Looks nice! Just tooled around a little.

One thing that bugs me is that the header image you have is big - forces me to scroll left and right - at least on my laptop.

It would be nice to have smaller advertising on the recipe page too

But, that's just me - being in the industry, I'm a tad nit-picky

I signed up and am giving it a try.

The one thing that I was not all that fond of, was having to use the drop down's for ammounts. I would rather have a text box that I can enter a number in. It would also be nice, to be able to enter both the AG and FG, you could then just have it figure the ABV from those readings.

Also, I use British Crystal 55L quite a bit, I didn't notice it in the list of grains.

I think you have a good start, I like the "My Stash", it is a unique idea that can set yours apart from other online recipe places. When I get home tonight, I'll check in my "book" that I keep at home, and see what information I track from all my brews, that i do not see listed in the my stash. I like to keep a lot of information on my brew's, and then I can compare consistancy between batches that I use the same recipe on.

Great feedback fellas!

The header is a bit large and I will admit I run my screen resoulution at 1024 or 1280 so its designed for "larger" screen areas. I may move the ads on the recipe page because I think it would open up a bit more realestate there.

Ill add the British Crystal to the list tonight for you.

The issue with freeform entries is consistency. Once you allow users to enter data in a freeform fashion, you lose the ability to know that the data is in a fairly safe state without doing a lot of coding.

A trick i use for drop downs is just tab to them and hit the numeral that Im going to select (ie 2).

Keep the feedback coming :)

-=gp125racer=-

gp125racer said:
A trick i use for drop downs is just tab to them and hit the numeral that Im going to select (ie 2).

Thats all I ever do, I'm old school, I don't use my mouse.

I just had to do some math for a few things, like .75lbs, I have to think about converting it to 12oz. In all my recipes I use lbs as the grain measurement, even if it is less than 1lbs.

One other thing I noticed, while playing around at work. Would be a FG spot in the "Brew Stash" screen. When I enter something in there, it would be nice to have the FG of that batch with it.

Dewey,
The type option should allow for just about every permeatation of a measurement I could think of. Id be more than happy to add .25, .50, and .75 so we get a little more granularity out of that and you can continue to use lbs :)

As for the brew stash, OG/FG, Ill be modifying that tonight.

Im planning on removing the ABV and calculating it based on the OG and FG.

-=gp125racer=-

Cool, Those are the other things I noticed. One other question, are you able to browse or search other users recipes? I could not seem to find a way.

A couple more ingrediants for you.

Peat Smoked Malt and Oak Chips.

WAGNER BREWING said:
I registered and tried to add a recipe and it couldnt add it. Tried add info to my user profile and it couldnt. What gives?

Sorry if i sounded mad, I wasnt. Its a great looking site, you may really have something going there! Congrats....:mug:

Not at all Wagner, I appreciate you pointing out the thing you found that were broken.

In order to make the site the best it can be I want the feedback from as many homebrewers of varying levels that I can get :)

As a matter of fact, Ive already got a list of things to accomplish today that are all additions/requests of people from this site.

Hope you enjoy it :)

-=gp125racer=-

Thanks to Dewey316 and olllllo, Ive made some additions to the site.

1) You can now copy an existing 'public' recipe into your own stash
2) Crystal 55L added to ing. list
3) .25, .50, .75 added to measurements drop downs

Please keep the recipes coming. Im going to focus on a ABV calculator next, which will follow closely by adding the AG, FG fields to the 'brew stash' section.

Cheers!
-=gp125racer=-

Back