Cures for hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Reaction score
Bonfire night last night, feeling pretty rough today. Got me thinking, what remedies have you lot came up with over the years?

I personally usual just try sleep, but its not happening today :(

Evets said:
Hair o' the dog that bit ya

In other words, choke down another beer? When I'm hungover, beer is the last thing on my mind, even a homebrew.

I always try to drink a glass or two of water before crashing out. Sometimes I forget, but I'm certainly reminded in the morning.

I've heard aspirin, etc. will work too, but I try to stay away from that stuff: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15870

bloody mary all the way. hangover is then postponed until a later, more convenient time.

Lots of water and OJ. Replace the water and vitamins that have been leached from your system.

LewisM said:
milk does not help *shudders*
Mmmm. When that hits the stomach just think of the little mini cheese factory gurgling and churning around inside you......

Chimone said:
bloody mary all the way. hangover is then postponed until a later, more convenient time.

I think that's the cure for whhat ails me tonight. Too much whiskey last night. Ugh. I even did a shot of Jaeger.

asprin and gatoraide before I go to bed. If I cant do that an IV with 1 liter of normal saline and a 250 ml bag of 5% dextrose and a good long blast of 15l /min of oxygen as it runs in . . . sometimes being a paramedic is usefull

I'm afraid my days of massive over-indulgence are behind me, but I always found drinking a large glass of water & 2 aspirin before going to sleep did the trick. Nothing helped much in the morning.

Drink as much water as you can stand and take the max dose of your favorite headache medicine before going to bed. Repeat and add a multivitamin to the mix in the morning. Eat a greasy breakfast or some fast food burgers and fries - seems to help soak up the rest of what ails ya.

A big plus for homebrew is the fact that it doesn't give near the hangover as most of the commercial stuff. Some speculate that it's because homebrew is high in vitamin B due to the susupended yeast.

Pumbaa said:
asprin and gatoraide before I go to bed. If I cant do that an IV with 1 liter of normal saline and a 250 ml bag of 5% dextrose and a good long blast of 15l /min of oxygen as it runs in . . . sometimes being a paramedic is usefull
Don't ask me how I know that this works...but it's way better than anything else you can do!

supposedly vitamin B before you start drinking, and before you crash is good remedy, haven't tried it yet, but I might get to trying it this weekend :D

A large glass of water and some aspirin before bed, then a big bowl of spicy menudo in the morning.

Yuri_Rage said:
Drink as much water as you can stand and take the max dose of your favorite headache medicine before going to bed. Repeat and add a multivitamin to the mix in the morning. Eat a greasy breakfast or some fast food burgers and fries - seems to help soak up the rest of what ails ya.

A big plus for homebrew is the fact that it doesn't give near the hangover as most of the commercial stuff. Some speculate that it's because homebrew is high in vitamin B due to the susupended yeast.

Don't ask me how I know that this works...but it's way better than anything else you can do!

A big ol' sub sandwich always did it for me. That is, after the water/aspirin regimen. And try to keep moving, albeit slowly. Laying down just prolongs the suffering. At least if you're up and moving around your mind is on something else.

ablrbrau said:
And try to keep moving, albeit slowly. Laying down just prolongs the suffering.

Not for me this morning, any movement, including breathing made me feel like i was about to throw up =/

and what have we learned children?

dont combine drugs and alcahol :D

Cajun I used to work with would always drink Gatorade.

If he came in with a quart in the morning we steered clear of 'im.

Best solution is to not go to bed drunk. stay up till you sober up.

Yet smoking a bowl in the morning might possibly trump all the other cures...:fro:

Get some B complex vitamins. take a few before bed with as much water as you can.

that will take care of most of it. An omelette, or Mac.somthing with fat in the morning also helps. Also a Coke, Icy cold.

I drink as much water as I can stand before crashing, plus a multivitamin. I used to take a painkiller too, but I read that that can actually accelerate liver problems, and even cause death. If I died in the night SWMBO would never let me live that down! Of course, all that water would make me get up in the night to pee, and I'd drink another glass of water after doing my business. Then in the morning I'd take a nice hot shower which seems to help some too.

You need some Orange juice to replace the antioxidants that you lost and some greasy ol' eggs. Being in college, I've had many experiments in this field and should earn a doctorate in it. Re-hydration before bed is also key but truly, replacing the antioxidants using Gatorade or Orange juice helps a lot. And for Jaeger, you're SOL. Thank the Germans for perfecting that alcohol. :mug:

I do the B-vitamin thing before going to bed and it always works for me. My regemin is 1/4 tablet each of a B-6 and B-12 supplement. Why 1/4 tablet? Each full tablet is something like 2000% of your recommended DV, so I figure I'm still giving my system a good jump start to replace all I've lost. If I forget before going to bed and wake up feeling like scrambled-@$$, I take one then and about 1.5-2 hrs later can really feel a noticable difference.

I also do a less-scientific method on occasion: the red eye. Raw egg (very fresh), and equal parts tomato juice (or V8) and beer. That gives you a little of everything - vitamins in the V8, protein in the egg, something that feels good and solid in the stomach, and the old hair o'the dog (beer). That solid feeling in my stomach usually makes me feel much better. It's a little thick, but if you drink it fast, you'll hardly notice. Also, don't forget to swallow the yoke in a single big gulp.

I've heard that a shot of olive oil is supposed to be part of a hangover regemin - don't know if it's preventative or reactive. I'd be willing to give it a shot if anyone can attest to it's effectiveness.

Focus

you do realize that our homebrew is chock full of vitamin B? Most of us don't filter out all the natural goodness. :rockin:

puravida286 said:
Yet smoking a bowl in the morning might possibly trump all the other cures...:fro:

It certainly takes the edge off the hangover. Sometimes when I wake up HURTING (which hasn't happened for quite some time) I have a severe craving for the spleef. And man, does it help.

Klainmeister said:
Being in college, I've had many experiments in this field and should earn a doctorate in it.

Don't discount those of us who learned a trick or two in college, then perfected the medications later on. Wait until you wake up thinking it's the first day of creation, then realizing you drank, ate, smoked, inhaled, popped, dropped, and snorted just about everything you've ever heard of all in one night.

Sure am glad I'm all grown up now.

Cheesefood said:
Don't discount those of us who learned a trick or two in college, then perfected the medications later on. Wait until you wake up thinking it's the first day of creation, then realizing you drank, ate, smoked, inhaled, popped, dropped, and snorted just about everything you've ever heard of all in one night.

Sure am glad I'm all grown up now.

ahh yes, all those wonderful memories. or to put it better, lack of memories :fro:

I haven't been to a Phish show in years.

Too bad, because I bet I could make a killing selling homebrew to hippies. $4.00 per cup. Hippies have great taste when it comes to beer.

:off: Cheesefood, I think I remember getting pretty heated a while back when you went on a hippie bashing rant in some thread...now that I've "gotten to know you" a bit I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic! Would've never pinned you as a phish head (my favorite band)! :off:

In addition to all the great advice so far (liquids, vitamins, hair'o'dog, etc.), you also need a healthy dose of FAT! Think Waffle House. Get a newspaper. Order a waffle, hash browns (scattered, smothered, and covered), side of bacon. Also coffee, OJ, and a diet pepsi. Hang out for a while. Do the soduko. Read the op-ed page (it'll make you feel superior, even if you are hung over).

Chick-fil-a is a close second. Bojangle's sausage'n'gravy biscuit comes in close in third place. Any local diner or mexican breakfast trumps all of the above.

nosnhojr said:
In addition to all the great advice so far (liquids, vitamins, hair'o'dog, etc.), you also need a healthy dose of FAT!
Ain't that the truth...my favorite used to be the Burger King at Mission Valley near NC State. Somehow they made their fried even greasier than most BK's. Bojangles was a close second and since my roommate subsisted off Bojangles and had a car I consumed a number of Cajun filet biscuit combos on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I never could sleep when I was hungover, anyways.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Ain't that the truth...my favorite used to be the Burger King at Mission Valley near NC State. Somehow they made their fried even greasier than most BK's. Bojangles was a close second and since my roommate subsisted off Bojangles and had a car I consumed a number of Cajun filet biscuit combos on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I never could sleep when I was hungover, anyways.

I tend to lean towards a steak bagel from McDonalds...as I did this morning. ;)

There are several people at work who swear by pickle juice. :drunk: They even keep a jar in the fridge just in case.

Chimone said:
you do realize that our homebrew is chock full of vitamin B? Most of us don't filter out all the natural goodness. :rockin:

Absolutely. My experience supports the comments posted here about hangovers being far milder or non-existent with homebrew. I usually do the B-vitamin regemin if I've been hitting the BMC a little hard (such as on college football gameday) or if a big italian dinner leads me to an evening of big red wine.

Also, I've been known to hit the Beam/Jack 'n Coke on occasion. Of all my hangovers, those are the ones that make me feel the most off. Not necessarily the most painful or nauseous, just the most not-quite-right feeling the next day. The B-vits work wonders on those occasions.

Focus

puravida286 said:
:off: Cheesefood, I think I remember getting pretty heated a while back when you went on a hippie bashing rant in some thread...now that I've "gotten to know you" a bit I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic! Would've never pinned you as a phish head (my favorite band)! :off:

Hippies = non-working addicts who panhandle and contribute nothing to society. See 'Tour Scum' or 'Tour Rats'. Hippies sit in drum circles and think the answers to the worlds problems can only be found while sitting around getting high. They talk a lot but do nothing.

Big difference between hippies and long-haired free-thinking activist radicals. I think of Hippie as along the lines of the N-word or Hillbilly. College students who call themselves hippies because they quit showering, grow dreadlocks and think they're in touch with Jah because they occasionally listen to Bob Marley's "Legend" CD are just wearing a costume of youth. They aren't hippies, they're just self-expressing while they still can. I self-expressed when I was younger too. But I wasn't a hippy, I was a college student.

Most of today's "Hippies" read a Chomsky book or listen to a leftist teacher and think they know everything about subjects like globalization. They bug the hell out of me.

But I'm a big-time lover of Phish. Been to well over 30 shows, as well as following bands like Leftover Salmon, moe. and a couple of Widespread Panic shows and other jam-bands.

Back