What's going on in my fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godrick

Reaction score
Just wonderin:
I'm brewing the Zainasheff/Plamer APA from Brewing Classic Styles. Using liquid yeast (WLP001) and at 8 days in fermenter I still have a heavy croisen, a good inch and a half thick, on top of my wort. Gravity is down to 1.015. Should be well done fermenting I'd think but I still have minimal bubbling at the airlock. I've used dry yeast in the past and normally I'd be done days ago and have a clean wort with nothing on top.

Any thoughts?

I'm gonna say everything is fine. This time of year the house is cooler and fermentation usually takes just a little longer.

Yeast is on its own timetable. I'm pretty sure Revvy will show up soon and explain it all. Give it time. You'll thank your yeast later.

Whats the temp of the fermentation right now? Check your gravity again tomorrow and compare the results to see if you have any movement.

Other than that make sure you tuck fermentation chamber in prior to going to bed to show you love it and that you want to put it into a new home... i.e. a bottle or keg and later on in your belly!

Revvy would tell you - and be right - that Airlock activity is NOT an indication of fermentation.

That said, given that your krausen hasn't fallen, I'd suggest that you continue to wait. 8 days is barely SUFFICIENT time in the primary in my book - I usually wait 2-3 weeks at least.

your beer may be done fermenting, but that is only a fraction of what happens and the bubbles you are seeing may just be from leftover co2 that hasn't made its way out yet.

Patience my young brewer, you will be rewarded with beer soon enough :D

Back