Are my taste buds dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
Alright, I'm very new to this and maybe this should be in drunken ramblings, however, has anyone out there purchased BB kits and thought that Irish Red and American Amber taste damn near the same? Are my taste buds gone? I don't taste the malt as much in the Irish, however, I was over hopping. I do full boils and the kit didn't tell me to cut the hops. You guys did. I cut the pellets back for the American Amber.........still the same taste, just a little less hoppy but I like hops. And, for the scientist, I came very close to OG and FG, within a few points of the kit recommendations. Lucky I guess. I have my last BB kit, English Brown Ale in the primary, looks like the rest with a "seriously" slight variation in ingredients so I figure it will be like the last 3.

I will say that the 4 kits I purchased were extremely predictable and made excellent beer.

Come on, I need a challenge. I bought 3 kits from Midwest, be here tomorrow and I'm hoping this changes my opinion on kits. They seem to have more comprehensive ingredients and a different alcohol profile so I hope that makes the difference.

I purchased:

250 $24.95 1 Irish Red Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
270 $28.95 1 Honey Amber Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
870 $28.95 1 Lemon Coriander Weiss w/ Danstar Munich dry yeast

Tell me at least that I made some good choices and I will not continue to drink the same beer time after time. Difference between BB Irish and American Amber was hop amounts. I want different flavor, not different labels? :mug:

are these strictly extract kits? if so, that will limit the variability when it comes to 'amber' or 'light' or what have you. i find that if ingredients are similar and the yeast is the same, you are bound to have a similar tasting beer... i'll be interested to see what you think of the Danstar Munich... i didn't particularly care for it, but maybe for a lemon coriander weiss, it won't be as noticeable. good luck!

You need a challenge and are tired of all your brews tasting the same, so you order an Amber and an Irish red?

Try a different style altogether. Maybe an IPA (you said you like hops) or a stout. Maybe formulate your own recipe or get one from the database instead of buying another kit. Broaden your horizons if your tired of the same old thing.

I made 4 BB extract kits and the RIS, Porter, and the EPA all tasted the same. I seriously think that they have like 4 extracts they use and blend them together to get the right color for each kit.

Ok, thats a lie but still, they all tasted almost the same. It was like I was making the same batch over and over again and getting the same beer but naming it different things.

Back