Recipe Suggestion - Light Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minger

Reaction score
hey guys, I have my first brew (from kit) bottle conditioning right now. In order to stagger the brews for maximum consistent drinking, I'd like to brew some tomorrow. My local feed store had kits, which I'd like to avoid, but also some other goodies. To try and avoid pricey malt extract in cans, they have bulk light malt extract for $1/lb.

The first brew is a porter, so I would like to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner brew that will be decent in this frigid winter using light malt extract?

Thanks much,

What kind of hops, yeast and specialty grains do you have access to? Most extract styles can be made with a base of Light or Extra Light malt extract, and you can probably use them interchangably in recipes with good results.

Pale ales and IPAs seem to come up a lot around here, and there are some really good recipes available in the recipe forums. What kind of beer do you like?

edit: $1.99/lb, which is still about $1/lb cheaper than any other place I can find.

Is there a table or chart that I can find to show how to "convert" light malt extract to other types?

Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

I am assuming what you are purchasing is liquid malt extract (LME). If you mean to convert it to a volume of Extra Light LME, then I would would just say to use it 1 to 1. You will just end up with a beer that is a little darker. If you were talking about Amber or Dark LME, there would be additional considerations and you would probably need to incorporate some specialty grains to acheive the same effect.

If you asking about converting from dry malt extract (DME), I have seen people suggest a ratio of between 75-80% DME to LME. Meaning, if a recipe calls for 4 lbs. DME, you would use about 5 to 5.33 lbs. LME.

$1.99/lb. for extract is a great price if it is fresh.

Back