Dicken's Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
So I am at the shops (Grocery Store for you North Americans) and I have a shopping Trolley loaded up with Apple Juice. I am planning to make 12 gallons of Apfelwein...

One of my mates that's a bit of a funny guy, walks up behind me and says "What are you doing, making punch?"

I said "No mate, I'm making cider" (Easier to explain than "Apfelwein").

He looks at me seriously and says "Dickens?"

So, being the well read, intellectual fellow that I am, I quickly race through my knowledge of Charles Dickens novels, thinking if there is any reference to CIDER in them.... I come up blank.. I look at him and say "Dickens?"

He smiles and sees my confusion and says nothing... I realise that he's F'ing with me, so I start to analyse the term... Hmmmm, Oh! Wait, he's talking about putting a dick in Cider. Still struggling with this as he is smirking...

OOHH!!!

HAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAH Funny Guy! "Dick Inside Her!"

NICE ONE!

He burst into laughter and says.. " I have been walking around with that one for about 18 months, waiting to use it.."

Well, I will have Apfelwein in a month or so.. who's laughing THEN eh?

So I am at the shops (Grocery Store for you North Americans) and I have a shopping Trolley loaded up with Apple Juice. I am planning to make 12 gallons of Apfelwein...

One of my mates that's a bit of a funny guy, walks up behind me and says "What are you doing, making punch?"

I said "No mate, I'm making cider" (Easier to explain than "Apfelwein").

He looks at me seriously and says "Dickens?"

So, being the well read, intellectual fellow that I am, I quickly race through my knowledge of Charles Dickens novels, thinking if there is any reference to CIDER in them.... I come up blank.. I look at him and say "Dickens?"

He smiles and sees my confusion and says nothing... I realise that he's F'ing with me, so I start to analyse the term... Hmmmm, Oh! Wait, he's talking about putting a dick in Cider. Still struggling with this as he is smirking...

OOHH!!!

HAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAH Funny Guy! "Dick Inside Her!"

NICE ONE!

He burst into laughter and says.. " I have been walking around with that one for about 18 months, waiting to use it.."

Well, I will have Apfelwein in a month or so.. who's laughing THEN eh?
There's an actual cider called Dickens, also an energy drink. Check it out.

Ah yes, I've had Dicken's Cider many times. She was a saucy lass named Anita. There's nothing like a nice wet Dicken's Cider down by the pool on a hot day.

I seem to recall that the "Dicken's Cider" skits originated from a Radioa show hosted by Garrison Keillor. The show was called "A Prairie Home Companion".

Pretty good stuff, except that I was too younge to appreciate the venue (talk radio).

I seem to recall that the "Dicken's Cider" skits originated from a Radioa show hosted by Garrison Keillor. The show was called "A Prairie Home Companion".

Pretty good stuff, except that I was too younge to appreciate the venue (talk radio).

wow, really? that's a bit more vulgar than I would have thought prairie home companion would do. Not doubting you, just surprised. I might be wrong about SNL, too. It definitely seems like it'd work best as a radio bit.

wow, really? that's a bit more vulgar than I would have thought prairie home companion would do. Not doubting you, just surprised. I might be wrong about SNL, too. It definitely seems like it'd work best as a radio bit.

A lot of their "product ad" skits were actually pretty suggestive in nature. They did a lot of "poking fun" with product name combinations. Other examples escape me right now. My Dad used to listen to the show loyaly. I could be wrong about the DC being one but, I can hear it in my head.

"My wife just loves the ol' big Dicken's cider jugs!"

"Thanks mom! I really like the dicken's cider box!"

No, the preacher's wife used to let it sit for months until it fermented, then she'd have a hard dicken's cider.

(Cider by nature is not alcoholic)

Or she'd nuke it for a hot dicken's cider.

And it just has to be said:

This was NEVER.....EVER.........EVER on the Prairie Home Companion.Are you smoking crack??;)

Back