wiping laptop hard drive and starting fresh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
Got a nasty virus from hyena cart this week, now my thinkpad is going under the knife. Its been slow, crashing, and giving me some lovely bsod information. If this fails I'll be grabbing a new hard drive and installing Linux.

I hate windows 7 but it teens to play nice with all my other house hold electronics =boxee, xbox, phones.

Anyone on here gotten a fully functional version of Ubuntuour another Linux OS version to work on a Lenovo t510?

Its dead Jim. Error 0200 unable to read fixed disk 0.

Curse you hyenacart!

Perhaps I'll get some more RAM so I can play games.

The IT guys at work really recommend Linux Mint as it has been tested and tweaked to be more stable that new versions of Ubuntu. Burn a LiveCD of Mint and try it. Couldn't hurt.

Also, you should be able to boot from the LiveCD and test the hard drive from the CD. Google cd booting for your laptop. You will need to change the boot sequence so the hard drive boots after the CD drive. Hopefully you can see the hard drive from Mint and copy any info you need to a thumb drive.

so i decided to take take out and reinstall the harddrive - after doing so it booted up. after about 4 hours of run time the same error 0200 popped back up. is this a motherboard problem?

Error 0200 is the hard drive (seems more a generic hardware error with the drive) issue. http://support.lenovo.com/en_PH/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT001427 It could also be the connection on the motherboard/system board. If it's still under warranty, call Lenovo support. Otherwise, you'll need to decide if you want to spend money getting it fixed, or just replace it.

Ordering a hard drive it is.

While that might resolve the issue, it also might not. Without actual hardware diagnostic tools, you're shooting in the dark, hoping that it's just the hard drive.

At least with drives being as cheap as they are these days, you won't be out too much if it isn't just the drive. I do hope you at least went with a solid make/model for the replacement drive.

Depends on your needs and budget. I've always had solid results with Seagate drives. I've had mixed results with Western Digital and poor results with Maxtor (are they even around anymore??). If you're not in need of a lot of space on the drive, I'd look at getting a SSD drive now. You can go up to 256GB and stay under about $350-$400 these days (not possible even a year ago). The 128GB size might be more in your budget. Look at the Plextor models as well as those from Intel, and OCZ (Vertex 4 and Agility 4 line). IMO, better to spend a few dollars more to get a better drive now than need to replace it yet again later. Doing that, you end up spending more (going cheaper now) in the long run. Plus, do you really want to go through this yet again??

I plan on installing a new SSD drive into my main computer (a Dell Precision Workstation 490) shortly after I move. I might install some hybrid drives (from Seagate) for mass storage in the system too. That way I can have a good amount of scratch space and reduce the electrical use of the tower, and maybe make it a bit quieter (already pretty quiet)...

Depends on your needs and budget. I've always had solid results with Seagate drives. I've had mixed results with Western Digital and poor results with Maxtor (are they even around anymore??). If you're not in need of a lot of space on the drive, I'd look at getting a SSD drive now. You can go up to 256GB and stay under about $350-$400 these days (not possible even a year ago). The 128GB size might be more in your budget. Look at the Plextor models as well as those from Intel, OCZ (Vertex 4 and Agility 4 line).

I need to be under $100 on the drive, for beering reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
a quick look turned up some negative info on OCZ drives, it seems firmware updates are a problem plaguing the line. I do love amazon prime, if the drive i order doesn't fix the problem back it goes to amazon.

I've been focusing more on IOPS, or MBps rates for the larger drives. I've also been looking more at Intel and the higher end OCZ drives for myself.

IMO, you'll almost always have someone putting up negative reviews of drives. I look more at how many good reviews does it get over a span of time. Plus, how difficult is it to get the drive to the stable firmware level before starting to use it.

A quick glance at the Vertex 4 comments shows more positive results. Someone whining about how the spec's are listed, or not working with a Mac, shouldn't even be allowed. I actually count it not working well with mac's a positive thing. :D

i do hate macs, how dare the apple IIe have been the first computer I used.

looking at this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R1FH3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I was going to post that one, but you put your budget at under $100... If you can handle the little higher price, I'd go for it.

The read performance on the drive will give you great results. The write performance isn't as good, but that shouldn't matter so much. Besides, it will most likely be better than what the spindle drive you're replacing gave you.

I got exposed to Mac's during college (graphic design major, art college). I was using them all through that career, and supported them during the first few years of my IT career. Now that I'm a VMware Admin, I don't need to get even close to any apple hardware. In fact, you couldn't give me an ipad, laptop or desktop from them. If you did, I'd turn around and sell it to some poor sod and use that money to get a good system, that I can actually USE... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple bucks is worth it if its something that works that well. I have external hard drives for storage if need be so a 128 gb drive might work out just fine. my thinkpad has a cd/ hard drive bay expansion option so I could always just throw something in there.

looks like I'll try the vertex 4. thanks for the advice.

I also have a good amount of additional storage, outside of my main system. I have a NAS with almost 4TB of space (only has 1.12TB free right now). Plus several TB of space on external drives. Having a BD burner in my tower means I can backup around 25GB of information at one time.

Next laptop I get will have a SSD in it (128GB or 256GB, don't need more). I have more thumb drives that I can use to transfer information, or store off of the laptop. I use those for my tablets, since they don't have as much space on them (32GB or 64GB in either).

most of my storage is used to house an ever changing selection of tv shows and movies. We no longer have cable and with kids going to see a movie is nearly impossible to enjoy. so storage is a must. go newsgroups.

I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.

I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.

So what OS did you go back with?

I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.

I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.

Sounds good. There are tons of distros for Linux so try them all on LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Also, if you need to run a windows program on a Linux comp it is easier to do through VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install Linux on your laptop.
Install VirtualBox in Linux.
Then install your Windows version inside of VirtualBox.
Then you can install the Windows based program in Windows VirtualBox.

It's like giving your comp a split personality. :D

Latest posts

Back