YUMMY! Apple Cider (vinegar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSponge

Reaction score
I tried the "cultivate your own wild yeast, easy!" method that Green Deane (Eat the Weeds) recommended. I guess I didn't have the right organics on my apple.

I posted it in a 17.5 oz bottle of Nantucket Nectar 100% Natural Apple Juice. I know, but I was excited and in a hurry and I figured that buying that size for what I'd pay for a quart was still a deal, 'cuz... it was THERE, man!

Got an apple (organic) from Trader Joe's. Peeled it and stuck the peeling in the bottle (almost one looong peeling), and put a make-shift air-lock on it, and waited. He said 3 weeks, I let it go 6 weeks because "out of sight, out of mind", and while puttering today, I figured it was time to harvest my yeasty beasties.

Got another 1/2 gallon of apple juice ready as a host, mixed a 1/4 # of brown sugar into it, and got ready to pour. Just then I figured, heck, I'll take a little sample before I mix 'em.

Poured a little off into a sample cup, smelled: nice. Took a sip. SaWEET apple taste. with Vinegar. I make some awesomely delicious apple cider vinegar.

Heh. Joke's on me.

Still, I racked it to remove the peeling and some of the sediment (SOMETHING must have bred in it -- yeast all over the floor of the bottle) and put some fresh juice on top, and have capped it again, and will visit it in about few weeks. Boy, my wife's gonna be suprised. :D

Ummmm Im afraid to ask 'how' she will be surprised.

If it works out you will have a nice cider for your enjoyment.

If not and you get vinegar out of it, you will have a 'cleanser' of sorts for those days where you get that 'Not so fresh feeling'.

Good luck with it either way!
-Me

I didn't think about that when I typed that.

OK, she likes apple cider vinegar for cooking, and she usually uses that nasty industrial stuff from the generic food market. Now she'll have some very light, very appley vinegar from her husband's not-exactly successful cider experiment!

SCORE!

Back