Help me nail down this Red Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Long story short, a local brewpub went out of business a few years back. My father's favorite beer was a red ale they served. I'm trying to piece together an extract plus grain recipe that more or less approximates that brew.

When I asked my father to describe it, beyond the obvious color, all he said was "it had a high alcohol percentage." This really could mean anything, but from what I can remember of it, it was probably somewhere over 6%, but certainly under 10%.

Knowing my Dad's taste, it shouldn't be harsh or bitter, either from alcohol or hops. Hops aroma and flavor are fine, but excess bitterness is not (in this case). To add a bit of perspective, my father also like's Chimay, which is up around 9%, and I believe only mildly or moderately hopped.

To complicate the issue, I have Cascade and Willamette hops -- very fresh, very whole, and very nice. I'd prefer to use these hops alone when making this brew. That's not a hard and fast rule, but I'd like to stick as close to these two varieties as possible.

So with all the above in mind, anyone willing to offer a recipe (or link to one)? As always, your time and consideration are greatly appreciated.

6 pounds of light LME
2 pounds of munich LME
.75 crystal 40
.25 crystal 120
.25 roasted barley
1.5oz of east kent goldings at 60
2 packages of Irish Ale yeast (White Labs WLP004)

this will come out around 5 which isn't that much but will still be a fine red ale.

fat x, appreciate the info. Gave me a fairly good starting place. Here's what I've come up with:

4 lbs light DME (43 ppg, Briess)
3.15 lbs light LME (34 ppg, Northern Brewer)
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Black Patent
1oz Cascade (60 min)
1oz Willamette, whole (15 min)

1.059 starting grav
1.012 finishing grav (assuming 80% attenuation with White Labs Dry English Ale, WLP007)
6.0% APV

Color = 28 HCU (≈15 SRM)
Bitterness = ≈17 IBU

Back